Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 05:21 PM

Default xp or vista?

I'm currently running windows 2000. I just got a new video ipod and it is not compatible with 2000, only xp or vista. I've heard good things about both of them but not sure. Also, I was wondering about switching to apple and getting the mini mac, I do alot of video editing as well as playing alot of poker. Is there enough memory on those little guys for that type of stuff? any advice would be great! thanks
Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: xp or vista?

As to the mini, I'll share my experience. I purchased one to use as an hd media extender for my sagetv setup. It was the setup of a computer I had ever done (I have six working boxes in my house, and only 2 users, not to mention I do the IT at work). The box is slick and the interface is slicker, but I don't think it has enough ram or processor for serious video editing. It is fine for the casual editing though. That said, mine refused to boot after about two weeks. Turns out it was a bad motherboard. The problem came when I tried to get it warrantied. I don't live in one of the 4 cities in Texas that have a Apple store, and the minis are not eligible for mail-in repair (yes you read that right, you have to take them to an Apple store or authorized service center). The closest store is 2 1/2 hours away in Houston, and the closest authorized repair center is 1:45 minutes away in Shreveport (which has 2 card rooms BTW). So logically, I took it to Shreveport. It only took 2 trips and 3 1/2 weeks to get it fixed. But I digress.

As to the XP/Vista question, do not even consider Vista unless you are buying a new computer. Even then, I would probably still go with XP until Vista SP1 has been out for a while.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:31 PM

If you are upgrading, your 2000 system may not be Vista compatible. Are you buying new?

BTW, it really pisses me off that Apple isn't supporting Windows2000 on the latest iTunes.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:35 PM

Yeah, well I'm using my old computer but my 2000 is a bootleg so I can't even upgrade to xp. I already tried. I'm about to start editing a surf movie with one of my friends, and I've heard that final cut pro is the best for that. But I can't afford a G5 so I was considering a mini mac. I don't know what to do!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, well I'm using my old computer but my 2000 is a bootleg so I can't even upgrade to xp. I already tried. I'm about to start editing a surf movie with one of my friends, and I've heard that final cut pro is the best for that. But I can't afford a G5 so I was considering a mini mac. I don't know what to do!

[/ QUOTE ]

To run Vista and run it well, you honestly need at least 3GB of RAM. If you're using a computer that is still running 2000, yeah, XP is a no brainer.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:21 PM

you do not need 3GB of RAM that is complete and total BS.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:53 PM

You can run Vista on 512 ram if you have to. Just disable all the fancy graphics and it will run fast as hell. 1GB with late gen P4 or better without Aero will do just fine for PT/PAHUD with four tables and other basic apps.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you do not need 3GB of RAM that is complete and total BS.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-04-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can run Vista on 512 ram if you have to. Just disable all the fancy graphics and it will run fast as hell. 1GB with late gen P4 or better without Aero will do just fine for PT/PAHUD with four tables and other basic apps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. No, you don't need 3GB of RAM to run Vista.

But for all the bells 'n whistles and not have your computer bogged down due to Aero etc. 3GB is ideal.

Do you still think that's BS?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:08 AM

I suppose it would depend on your system but with a good processor and video card or chipset, from my expirience and the actual benchmark data I have seen 1GB is plenty for 90% of applications and there is no performance boost in adding RAM. Performance is much more processor dependant. The magazines all say 2GB minimum but I have never seen any data to support it.