Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 03-14-2006, 03:39 PM

Default Those door-to-door magazine salespeople

Just had one of those kids come to my house selling magazines to get points. I've seen this for years and normally I don't talk to them - I just tell them I'm not interested and send them on their way.

This time, I chatted with the guy for a while. I'm not sure why, exactly. He told me he was from my hometown (out of state and he said it first - even showed me ID), so that was interesting, I guess. Also, he wasn't doing this for "college credit" or "to win a trip." He basically pitched me a sob story of trying to get a second chance, trying to do what's right, trying to make some money to support his baby and then so he could eventually go to college. I found this sort of intriguing, so I talked with him about it a little.

I didn't end up buying anything, not because of the money (ESPN magazine, 24 issues for $30 isn't too bad), but because a) I didn't want to encourage this sort of door-to-door peddling, and b) who knows what the hell they are going to do with my info (not afraid of identity theft, just phone calls, etc.).

There were a couple things that struck me as weird during our conversation. One was that he said the company bused him half way across the country just to come here and sell magazines. Seems strange that he couldn't just do that where he lives.

Seemed to me like it's a sort of MLM scheme, based on the upward track he tried to describe to me. His manager makes money off of him, then this kid might eventually move up and have people work under him, etc. I told him that it sounded like a [censored] company and that he should try to find something a bit better.

Has anyone ever purchased a magazine from these types of people? Is there any catch/scam/problem, aside from possibly not getting a great deal?

The company was called Urban Development Solutions - http://www.urbands.com. Website is not very informative. I couldn't find anything about the company elsewhere.

I know these magazine salespeople are nothing new - I was just curious for some reason this time if there was anything more to it than I'm not seeing.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Those door-to-door magazine salespeople

There are actually a ton of horror stories about these outfits. Like they bus you somewhere way ass far away, and you are pretty much slave labor because they know your broke ass doesnt have the cash to get back home. There are also stories of them actually holding people hostage and crap. Pretty messed up (tho im sure most of them are legit, at least in the sense they arent doing anything illegal, but i guaruntee 100% of them are all shady in some respect).

When I was young and stupid I got approached by this super hot girl, I pretty much bought a subscription just cuz she was talking to me, I prolly would have killed someone if she had asked me to. Anyway, it was for Maxxim, when it first came out, and I got all the issues no problem, so I had no complaints.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:53 PM

Here are some stories.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:05 PM

One of my friends bought a subscription to some photography magazine from one of these door to door kids. Then he checked online and found out he paid about 30% more than the normal subscription price. I gave him hell for it.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:28 PM

Actual conversation I had a month ago with one of these D-Bags:

Me: Look man, I'm gonna be honest with you, you're wasting your time here. We're not gonna buy anything. But good luck, bro.

Saleskid: Yo dude, I need this money, I can't eat 'good luck,' man.

My roommate from the other room: Well, we can't eat [censored] magazines so get the [censored] out of here!

Saleskid: . . .
Old 03-14-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like they bus you somewhere way ass far away, and you are pretty much slave labor because they know your broke ass doesnt have the cash to get back home.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what seemed to be going on here. Bused him across the country and then drives him and a bunch of others around in a van to try to sell. Then they go somewhere else.

I didn't think the kid was scamming me - I felt bad for him. If he actually lived here, I would've given him a couple phone numbers for some places where he might be able to find better work.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:19 PM

HI, MY NAME IS STEVE, I USED TO BE ADDICTED TO CRACK...