Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Limiting low count spam and trolling

What I'm seeing with those numbers is that it would mostly catch spam and such. So instead of the post going up and you possibly having to delete and mess with anything that's been quoted, it stays off the forum and one of us dismisses it one way or the other. I'll present some specifics for the if the idea isn't totally shot down right away.

I asked about how often it comes up for normal posts because that's the only thing that could make it a pain. I know we get new regular members all the time, but I'm not seeing it being so much that it would be a large number.

Still, it could always be tried with lower limits or only for starting threads. Even that would be pretty good.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 AM

Hi Ryan - [ QUOTE ]
I've always been against the idea because it's harsh on new users. Never thought it would be very effective either.

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly.

But not a bad idea in some ways.

However, some of us would end up trying to make helpful suggestions to each new poster - and that would keep us from thinking about other matters that might better occupy our time.

And new posters would have to wait until the appropriate mod was on line. We probably all try to check in at least once every day, but some days, that's all it's going to be - just once, and sometimes we'll be pressed and not have a lot of time to deal properly with the new poster.

And after a while, it would be a drag.

Buzz
Old 10-04-2007, 01:32 AM

Daryn

Nice lid.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:47 AM

what if we start by just approving the 1st two posts. you and i can do it easily. it would be a quick scan for spam and complete idiocy/offensiveness. we sign up less than 100 people per day. and not all of them post.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what if we start by just approving the 1st two posts. you and i can do it easily. it would be a quick scan for spam and complete idiocy/offensiveness. we sign up less than 100 people per day. and not all of them post.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, and in all seriousness, being cosigned by one of you two guys would be pretty sweet to a noob, particularly if they lurked prior (which is likely). Just a thought...
Old 10-04-2007, 01:57 AM

Sounds good to me. I'll set it up that way on the test forum.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:20 AM

There's no way to make sure new users can't post LINKS, is there?

I suppose it'd be easily circumvented, but putting "www" and "http" in the curse filter for the new users would be pretty nice.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, I really, raelly dont wanna have to do this. There will be a ton of work for me/ama/orange/aj.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

and, as far as uNL goes, if admins are gonna approve a post just cuz it's not spam, what happens for the noob threads that we don't allow in uNL that you guys will let thru because you don't know any better?

It'll be coming in with your approval and then we lock it cuz it's a bad beat post, winrate, kk preflop fold, where should I play, etc etc etc. Might be sending mixed messages with an admin approval, mod lock.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and, as far as uNL goes, if admins are gonna approve a post just cuz it's not spam, what happens for the noob threads that we don't allow in uNL that you guys will let thru because you don't know any better?

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll be targeting the worst stuff to prevent system abuse, not just spam. But if you're concerned about how it would work without your participation you can choose to participate. You'll have the option anyway.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:07 AM

The biggest problem I see regarding the approval of threads by new posters is the timing issue. If the user is posting something time-sensitive, it would suck if the mod of that forum was unavailable for enough hours for the thread to become obsolete.