Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Spechel EDD nudes >1000

Chuck traced the performance issues we were having earlier to that thread. That's also why you're now seeing >1000.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Spechel EDD nudes >1000

Sorry but that is hilarious. Oddly enough he's carrying on in an ATF thread about the >1000 thing so maybe that is why.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:09 AM

Yeah, the only thing I'm amused by is that AtF thread.

2+2 was unusable for hours because of this. The >1000 thing was implemented by Chuck to discourage future problems.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:13 AM

Ryan,

Honestly, I thought this whole thing was some kind of software glitch, so it's kind of funny to find out it is deliberate. Most active threads eclipse 1000 views pretty easily it seems, but I am not technical enough to understand why a bunch of people viewing a particular thread would crash the site as a whole.

">1000" seems about as useless as that column itself. If there is a way to just do away with it I wish you would. Who cares how many views a thread has? Just seems weird to me.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:20 AM

For it to be that bad I'm guessing someone was running a script to up the count. Chuck picked that thread out of the log and blocked the IP that was primarily responsible.

But yeah, we may as well get rid of that info if it stays capped at 1000. We'll see what happens.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 AM

Ryan,

"someone was running a script to up the count."

I wish that "someone" was outed and banned, that is ridiculous. They probably wouldn't have done it had they known it would semi-crash 2+2 for several of its busiest hours but that's still something that seems borderline DOS. Now I wonder if EDD's investment in this lame argument is because he knew about that. Pretty likely actually, in which case he should be banned.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:41 AM

and the person responsible wasn't Edd?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2+2 was unusable for hours because of this. The >1000 thing was implemented by Chuck to discourage future problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bad overreaction. This is a problem which occured once(?) in the ten year history of the forum.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and the person responsible wasn't Edd?

[/ QUOTE ]

Has it already been deduced the IP doesn't match EDD?

Fwiw, this is the PM he sent me:

Dude I had nothing to do with that. Nothing. All I'm responsible for is creating that thread and originally titling it "fluffpop nudes" and putting "viewcounts ++" as the post content. I thought that it was funny and thats all I did.

I just saw the thread take off with 2k views in 5 minutes and the first thing that I can think of was that some poster whos familiar with creating scripts made one to refresh that page for hits.

It doesn't really surprise me that people would look at me for this problem since I was the one who basically said what was happening. I have never ever done anything detrimental to the forums and I have no plan on doing any of it in the future. I'm willing to even put my integrity and word on this.

If any of the mods or admins want to speak to me or want me to provide them with details please tell them to do so at any time. Tell them that I have had zero gimmicks on these forums and have stuck around with this account since I have started posting here regularly. The only other account that I have had on here was one that I registered with and forgot the login details soon after. It was something like NK2004 or whatever. You can even feel free to copy and paste this PM in any discussion they're having.

I'm not too familiar with technical computer stuff but I'm more than sure that they can contact their providers and find out who has been querying their system over 100k times in one day and from what IP's. I really doubt whomever made that script bothered to use a proxy to mask themselves.

-EDD
Old 09-28-2007, 03:01 AM

So how did he find out this discussion was taking place? No matter how private we've tried to keep it, I assume mod forum stuff will get out sooner than later... just not immediately.