Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Regional Beers and Local Favorites

Abita is a sweeeeeeeeeeeet beer company in New Orleans. They do seasonal beers along with the standards like amber, lite, etc. Everything I've had that they brew is so good.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We have a local brewery here that is a city favorite. Very very good beer. Good enough to ship to family in Cali for Christmas.

Boulevard is the Brewery, and the Boulevard Wheat is my personal favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived with 2 people from Lincoln, and have quite a few more friends from NE. So I've drank a bunch of this stuff. Really good beer, but I think the nostalgia kicks it up a few more points than it deserves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its one of my favorite wheat beers but Guinness, Delirium, Hogarden and any number of Colorado and Kansas City micro-breweries are better.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rogue Dead Guy Ale, where the hell was that?

[/ QUOTE ]
San Francisco I think. It's a pretty damn good brewery, although Dead Guy isn't my favorite from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a native Oregonian I am rather partial to Rouge myself, it offers a wide range variety of excellent options. There's a Rouge Bar in North Beach SF, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

I really like their Mocha Porter FYI
Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 AM

I guess I'll x-post my reviews from the Lounge as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I just got back from my friend's house where I cracked open the Belgian Red. It's hard to characterize because it's so fruity. I'm not one who is much into fruit beers, but this is one I will purchase from time to time.

It's light read in color and fairly opaque. I have a hard time pickiung up aromas, but this is one beer which stands out. It smells just like a bowl of sweet, fresh cherries. It's got a very thin head, which makes for a very smooth beer when combined with the sweet cherry flavor. It's a little tangy on the front end and finishes almost being sharp because it's so sweet, but not in a bad way. It's mouthfeel is a little syrupy/sugary, but very clean. It leaves a very pleasant cherry aftertaste. Although this is a far cry from the bitter beers I usually drink it is one I enjoy, and it's definitely something the kids will love. rating: four out of five cherries.

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll be a while before I get around to the rest of these as I'm leaving for Minnesota, where I predict I will drink nothing but MGD Light, Whiskey and Jaeg.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 AM

I'm honestly not a big beer guy (usually just as happy if not more happy with a PBR than anything else), but I miss Mac & Jack's from Seattle. I have heard there are places you can get it in Portland, but I don't know where. Hale's Ales Cream Ale is another Seattle one I miss.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
New Glarus Spotted Cow This farmhouse ale is a huge Wisconsin favorite that I couldn't resist bringing home with me.

[/ QUOTE ]
First thing I thought of when I saw this thread. Nice choice.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:21 AM

I'd reaaaaalllllyyyy like to try the New Glarus Belgian Red. If only they distributed to a wider range [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2007, 01:50 AM

I've had Rogue Dead Guy in Columbus, Ohio.

Great Lakes Eliot Ness and/or Christmas Ale, btw.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:10 AM

Rogue Dead Guy is certainly their most popular/widely available beer. When I was at their brewery last month they were getting ready to ship about 10 pallets of cases to a Costco by DC.

Here is Oregon the main regionals we have are:
Deschutes
Bridgeport
Rogue
Pyramid/MacTarnahans
Widmer

each one has several varities available.

As I have mentioned before, a blessing and a curse living out here. Tons of other Micro's available at brew pubs.

We also get some Seattle stuff like Red Hook.

As another topic, very much related to OP, I was talking about this very same thing with some friends a few weeks ago. The US has this amazing growing section of regional microbrews, much like what is available in places like Germany, Belgium, and Czech Rep.

I don't know much about what its like in the midwest or back east, but the West Coast keeps it damn real. Tons of local breweries all up the Left Coast. Probably because hops are grown in aplently out here.

I want to give a shout out to Stone Brewery down in Escondido(I think). Love their stuff. Up in Seattle Red Hook is still my [censored]. Love their ESB which I had for the first time in years before the Hawks season opener.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:13 AM

"I don't know much about what its like in the midwest or back ea"

vermont, nh and maine are awesome for brewerys. it seems every little town has its own microbrew. unpasteurized too.