Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 07-23-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Bubble play 101

His raise size is a bit troubling. I would be much happier if he'd opened to t300. Even though I don't expect a lot of folding equity against that bet, any amount at all is enough to make it worth pushing here. Calling an open-push is probably pretty close to neutral against his range.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:10 PM

it sucks to flip but its basically the best case scenario given blinds/hand/stack size
Old 07-23-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t60/t120
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t4885
Button: t4200
SB: t2100
Hero: t2400

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to t420</font>, SB folds, Hero

[/ QUOTE ]

I push here for sure. Raise/fold hands are like 75% of his range and you're not that far behind what he's calling with. He's not too randomly aggro so I don't like the idea of playing a flop. If he's the kind of player who auto-bets any flop, we've got enough chips left to call and c/r a lot of flops profitably.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:24 PM

All these spots are hugely read dependent, paying attention to what size/how often/what position people raise in can really help illuminate things in these spots. Would be a much tougher spot if SB was also at ~10 BB, then taking a confrontation against the big stack really sucks unless you're pretty much crushing his range. Button would probably need to be raising ~ 65-70% to go to war in that spot with AJo. You're probably ~ neutral $EV with the stacks as they are and range described, so player's privilege. Though in a lower buy-in, people are more likley to spew in future hands and freeroll you into the $$ if you fold here. How loose/tight the two big stacks are in calling pushes (i.e. yours), and/or does 3rd place stack fold/complete his SB (to your BB) are other bits of info (among many) that would be nice to have in making a close decision here.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:30 PM

FYI 420 is the raise size you get by mashing the pot button. In that respect Villain's raise size is quite standard.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI 420 is the raise size you get by mashing the pot button. In that respect Villain's raise size is quite standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I don't really like that he mashed that one instead of the "Duh 'see where I'm at' 'cause I saw it on the TV" button, aka minraise.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:19 PM

orginal hand is a push. we are SS on bubble so we can take what would appear to be a slight -EV push. plus he will fold a small percentage of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
Cool. What if I have 2400 and he has 4200, and we have AQo. I was thinking that that would become a fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

here its better because we have more FE. i actually like this push better just because we arent showing down as much.

for a cash game player you are surprisingly (correctly) tight on a sng bubble isura. whats the beef?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

for a cash game player you are surprisingly (correctly) tight on a sng bubble isura. whats the beef?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey. I used to play like $30 sngs about 2 years ago.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:38 PM

I like this line a lot.