Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Is this fishy? (bubble $11)

I've been raising button quite a bit. SB is playing very tigh, bb is playing more loose but passive (not reraising at all). Do I just dump this PF? I thought postflop was pretty standard. On the flop I might be ahead, but I don't think its worth risking too many chips where he won't fold better and may take me off my hand. Turn I pick up outs, but I still can't get a better hand to fold, and c/r would make me sick. But maybe turn calls for a small protection bet? River I'm probably good, so I check. I'm mainly interested in hearing thoughts about the merits or pitfalls of getting involved with hands like this in this spot.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t30/t60
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t850
Hero: t1795
SB: t3745
BB: t7110

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t180</font>, SB folds, BB calls t120 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t270)</font>.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t390, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t390, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t390, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.

Results:
Final pot: t390
Old 07-23-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Is this fishy? (bubble $11)

if youre going to raise with 6 8 at least have to balls to make a cbet when checked to twice with an ace on board
Old 07-23-2007, 04:09 PM

oh and fold pf
Old 07-23-2007, 04:10 PM

No problem with raising here. I would lead out on the flop when he checks to me. Im pretty sure we could fold to a push.

The main concern with raising with a hand like this would be the short stack pushing on you, but hes out of the way. I raise here 75% of the time.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if youre going to raise with 6 8 at least have to balls to make a cbet when checked to twice with an ace on board

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what you mean here. Will he fold a better hand?
Old 07-23-2007, 04:13 PM

probably not, but I would much rather take down the pot or get check raised and fold than kill my image by showing i raised with 8 high
Old 07-23-2007, 04:15 PM

fair point about the image thing. but doesn't our hand have just enough equity where a c/r would not be good, and we would want to see a river card? Its not like I have J high here..
Old 07-23-2007, 04:25 PM

i think youre right, didnt pay quite enough attention to the HH. If it were me I would have bet the flop, and checked behind on the turn. But I also Cbet waaaay too much in sngs.

Folding pf thus makes your life that much easier
Old 07-23-2007, 04:26 PM

Yeah flop bet is good. I was probably overestimating how often I get bluff c/r in this spot.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:31 PM

PF - this is one of those spots where the chips you're putting at risk are worth more per chip than those you'd gain in a 50/30/20 payout, probably best to just let it go even if playing your hand with position here is +cev. Being double the stack of shorty is not something you want to throw away lightly, it's huge as far as being able to call his pushes into you at the 40/80 or 50/100 level (you can lose and still have a playable stack to come back). Once that gap erodes, even some clearly +cev calls may become -$EV, whereas if you had a double gap on shorty, those calls would still be +$EV (SNGPT, blah, blah, etc.).

I think playing it puss postflop is fine (esp. with Turn draws), I'm more interested in protecting my gap, and if you've been raising a fair amount, lots of people will play-back at you here since you're probably folding without at least an Ace (and you've been raising wide on the button, so...). A decent-sized cbet that is unsuccessful really erodes your chip gap on shorty which would suck for aforementioned reasons.