Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: \"Jesus\" advises Yang to stiff dealers?

more players than just the winner should be tipping and adding to this total right?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every year it seems like there's drama about what someone tipped or didn't tip.

Ferguson simply pointed out that he already had $150,000 taken out of his prize for the dealers. That seems like important information. When they ask you if you want to leave a tip, I don't think they say, "You've already tipped $150,000, would you like to leave anything more than that?"

If someone told me that the guy won $8 million and left a $150,000 tip for the dealers, I would think that sounded like a nice tip. I'm certainly not going to think less of the guy because the tip was automatically deducted.

If I go to a restaurant and they automatically add an 18% tip onto the check, and that's all we leave, I think it would be pretty lame to claim we "stiffed" the waitress. Yet that's the title of this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

well said.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
^^ well said ^^

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.

Compare:
1. They already took out
2. I assume they do not tell you the number of dealer hours so you can figure out roughly what an additional tip translates into.
3. I know they won't tell you how much the dealer's are making before an additional tip.

with

1. They don't take out from my ring game.
2. I know how much my translates into and to whom it is going when I tip in a ring game.
3. I know roughly how much the dealer in a ring game makes.

[ QUOTE ]
more players than just the winner should be tipping and adding to this total right?

[/ QUOTE ]

All players paid 1.8% out of their entry fee to pay the dealers with. Not sure how many who made the money tipped on top of that. But I'll bet that the TD and other staff pressured every single one of them So yes, the real number should be closer to $1M I'd guess (depending on how much mgmt raked for their own pockets).
Old 07-18-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing that there were about 10,000 dealer hours at the Main Event. 1.8% was taken from a $60M prize pool, which works out to $960,000. 30% went to management, leaving $612,000 for dealers. So dealers got tipped around $60 per hour?

That can't be right. What's wrong with my math?

[/ QUOTE ]

the prize pool is actually ~62M [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 PM

The 1.8% is deducted from the GROSS prize pool, which is the full $10,000 per player X 6,358 players.

1.8% for dealer and staff = $1,144,440
Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 AM

Good thing I don't play tournaments. I would figure out roughly how many hands I played and tip that many dollars total. I would not tip random people $200,000 just because I became a millionaire. I would much rather buy a family member a house or something.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:12 AM

Of course, pig ignorant dealers will continue to whine and complain that they don't get enough. I played in a MGM tourney where the dealers got $5 out of each $45 entry fee, and one dealer complained that it hardly added up to anything. When I pointed out that it was more than one of the higher placing prizes, the dealer had nothing to say to that.

If they don't disclose that the dealers receive a suitably large cut, there should be lawsuits. God I hate tip hustling dealers.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good thing I don't play tournaments. I would figure out roughly how many hands I played and tip that many dollars total. I would not tip random people $200,000 just because I became a millionaire. I would much rather buy a family member a house or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
Closed Thread