Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Seized Automobile Auctions

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with such auctions. I'm looking at a few cars that are out of my price range in the new/used market but have heard many times that you can get amazing deals on some cars at these things. If anyone can provide me with any websites with more information or stories about their own or others' experiences I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Seized Automobile Auctions

you have to have (buy) a specific license to attend these things in a lot of states. another viable alternative is to get in touch with a 'pro' who goes to these things all the time, tell him or her what you're looking for, and they'll hook you up for a commission.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:14 PM

Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to have (buy) a specific license to attend these things in a lot of states. another viable alternative is to get in touch with a 'pro' who goes to these things all the time, tell him or her what you're looking for, and they'll hook you up for a commission.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a coworker whose husband has such a license and buys a lot of cars this way. don't do it unless you are pretty handy with cars or have someone with you that is. they are almost always sold 'as is' and there may or may not be full disclosure about problems with the cars. sometimes you only get to do a cursory visual inspection, if that. very risky.

yeah, you can get a great deal, but you can also end up bidding on a lemon and find yourself with zero recourse when it craps out
Old 07-15-2007, 11:09 PM

My freind and I used to buy hondas and acuras at auctions and sell the parts. Sometimes the motor/car was in good shape, sometimes it wasn't. If youre just buying a beater I would do it but I would hesitate spending alot on something. The ones we used to go to the cars would have stickers like "run and drive" or similar but they never let you actually pull the spark plugs or check the oil or anything.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:57 AM

I had two friends who bought barely running beaters at one of these for like $500-$1k and then took them out to the country and played demolition derby in them. Was alot of fun to watch.