Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 AM

Default Re: NL10, TP, value bet or free showdown?

I'll take a stab at why you should not want to call (or limp) pf.

KTo is not a strong hand when you are taking implied odds into account. You will generally make an only medium strength hand with very little chance of improving (such as top pair or two pair on a drawy board). At the same time KTo is fairly strong when most of the money is over only a couple streets, when implied odds don't have such a heavy impact (ie in raised pots or in short stack situations). As such, you want to play it in a raised pot with position and betting impetus.

I think you already somewhat intuitively know another downside that playing KTo here incurs. Namely reverse implied odds. Calling more when you are behind. You hit TP on a Kxx board and call a bet or two only to loose to KJ/KQ/AK/whatever.

Just as a small note, if this spot is +ev I believe that most of your value in playing this situation comes from your fold equity by 3-betting.

Hopefully that's along the lines of the more in depth answer you were looking for. I'll admit that I'm a little inebriated right now so hopefully it makes some sense.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Re: NL10, TP, value bet or free showdown?

Thanks man, I get it, I just didn't realise HOW bad it was. I guess weighing up the pros and cons I over-rated the pros. ie the possibility of making a big hand with position.