Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Managing Inboxes for a small organization

I'm looking for advice from someone who has managed email accounts before.
I'm setting up a website and email for my non profit organization. I want to set up email addresses for all the board members. This will be by position though, not by person. So I want president@organization.org, secretary@organization.org, etc.
The website is hosted by godaddy, so we get a bunch of 10MB accounts. Instead of these I think my best bet is to just use the forwarding option to gmail accounts so I don't have storage constraints.
An additional constraint is these board members will change and I want the replacements to have access to old emails. So these are the two options I'm considering:
Set Up 1:
Go Daddy forwards each account to a position specific gmail address. So president@organization.org forwards to organizationPresident@gmail.com. Access to these accounts would be given to the successors. These could then be set up to forward a second time to joeblow@wherever.com
Set up 2:
All emails forward to organizationName@gmail.com. This gmail address forwards to the board members personal email accounts. So every <position>@organization.org forwards to organization@gmail.com, which then doles them out to joeblow1@hotmail.com joeblow2@yahoo.com, etc.

Anyone have any experience from a usability standpoint which will be most convenient for board members to use, but still be reasonable to leave access to future board members.
I think set up 1 sounds best, but my concern is their is some configuration each time a position changes, and users may not be comfortable with the set up for their personal mail to sometimes be sent from <position>@organization.org, or if they just access the gmail account, they won't check it often enough.

Set up 2 seems alright, and I guess has the same problem as set up 1, but is just fewer gmail accounts to manage. It has the added problem of many people accessing one account for old emails.

I don't see privacy as a concern, as these will all be organization related, and any info passed through these email addresses won't be sensitive.

Any better ideas than the set ups I have mentioned? Any reasons not to go with set up 1? I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something from a logistical standpoint that will make this a pain in the ass to manage.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Managing Inboxes for a small organization

Keep it simple for both you and the officers. As a non-profit officer I wouldn't want to jump through too many hoops to deal with the organization's email.

I would just set up forwarding to whatever personal accounts the people that hold those positions want you to use. When people change out - modify the forwarding address. You can also set up a 2nd catch all forward to keep an overall backup of all the communications, but make sure the officers know the communications on those accounts are not private.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:14 PM

The only problem I see is password management. You want to have someone else managing the passwords to these accounts instead of the people getting mail from them so they can be changed when the person in the position changes. You probably want two people to have these incase someone gets hit by a bus.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:19 PM

You need Google Apps for Domains

http://www.google.com/a/

Basically gmail accounts for your domain. It's free and comes with 2gb of storage for each account.

So you can have president@organization.com as a gmail account with no forwarding required.

You only need the standard (free) edition.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Freakin may be on to something here.

Kerowo, brings up a good point about someone else (you) managing the passwords. You could let president@organization.com choose his own password but he would be required to let you know what it was. Then when Joe Smoe takes over the prez position and needs the president@organization.com email addy you just log in and change the password to something of his choice. Now the former prez is locked out and you still have access to the new acct. I really think that might be the easiest solution here.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need Google Apps for Domains

http://www.google.com/a/

Basically gmail accounts for your domain. It's free and comes with 2gb of storage for each account.

So you can have president@organization.com as a gmail account with no forwarding required.

You only need the standard (free) edition.

[/ QUOTE ]
I briefly looked at this. I don't see how this is much different than what I mentioned. The account is already set up with godaddy, so no matter what forwarding needs to be set up there, correct? I don't want to require that people log into gmail, as great as I think it is.

Here's an additional thought. If people aren't logging into a position specific gmail account I don't really have a way to catch communications that they send out. Only incoming emails will be caught through either forwarding to a catch all, or forwarding to a gmail address, which forwards again to a personal email.

Edit: I'm looking at Google Apps now, looks like there's more going on here than I thought.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:47 PM

it's gmail for your domain. all you do at godaddy is set up the DNS records and people log into their @organization account, which is using gmail software.

They aren't logging into an @gmail.com account, they're logging into a @organization.com account that uses google's mail software.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:05 PM

Still, the point is I don't want them to have to check anything other than there personal email. I'm sure people will check it less often if they have to sign into a seperate account.
This is a volunteer non-profit organization, people are doing work for this a couple hours a week, if that. I want to make sure they get messages as often as they get their regular mail.
Even if I still host my stuff with godaddy and use google apps to handle email it's not much different than if I just forwarded from go daddy to gmail to their own email address.
I'd switch everything over, but it appears that their webpages force you to use their formats, which is pretty lame. I wish they'd just give you a blank page that you could put html on.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:18 PM

You can set up those accounts to forward the mail to their inbox and keep a copy in the gmail account. A little experimenting would show if the responses also end up in the gmail box.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Still, the point is I don't want them to have to check anything other than there personal email. I'm sure people will check it less often if they have to sign into a seperate account.
This is a volunteer non-profit organization, people are doing work for this a couple hours a week, if that. I want to make sure they get messages as often as they get their regular mail.
Even if I still host my stuff with godaddy and use google apps to handle email it's not much different than if I just forwarded from go daddy to gmail to their own email address.
I'd switch everything over, but it appears that their webpages force you to use their formats, which is pretty lame. I wish they'd just give you a blank page that you could put html on.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it's very easy to setup the new gmail accounts to auto-forward the emails. Are they going to need to send emails, or just receive them?