Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 05-30-2007, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Who Is The Next Big...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Action - Josh Duhamel
Drama - Ryan Gosling
Comedy - Sacha Baron Cohen

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dont know the first one
agreeon the second 2 even tho i hated borat. I did read that sasha will be playing freddy mercuray(sp?) in a queen biopic, which i think could put him in the second slot. but the ali g movie suckednow that i think about it,loved the series tho.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Action - Josh Duhamel
Drama - Ryan Gosling
Comedy - Sacha Baron Cohen

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dont know the first one
agreeon the second 2 even tho i hated borat. I did read that sasha will be playing freddy mercuray(sp?) in a queen biopic, which i think could put him in the second slot. but the ali g movie suckednow that i think about it,loved the series tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a make or break for him. Not that he isn't rich and won't continue to be. But we're looking at bigger stakes than ordinary rich or popular here, by far.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're basically saying that what didn't work at all for Jackie would work for Tony. Yet Jackie couldn't even make it while hugely rich and an extremelyh well-proven commodity all over the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're taking a very America-centric stance here. Jackie being an "extremely well proven commodity all over the world" is pretty good evidence that he had in fact "made it" even though only hardcore action fans knew of him in the USA. If Tony Jaa peaks at the level of stardom Jackie Chan reached in the late '80s, he'd still be one of, if not the, biggest action stars on the planet.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're basically saying that what didn't work at all for Jackie would work for Tony. Yet Jackie couldn't even make it while hugely rich and an extremelyh well-proven commodity all over the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're taking a very America-centric stance here. Jackie being an "extremely well proven commodity all over the world" is pretty good evidence that he had in fact "made it" even though only hardcore action fans knew of him in the USA. If Tony Jaa peaks at the level of stardom Jackie Chan reached in the late '80s, he'd still be one of, if not the, biggest action stars on the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the whole point of what I'm saying. International stardom does not come even remotely close to guaranteeing American stardom, and American movies rule the world like no other ever. You can be a huge international star at the same time you're nothing in the American market, and that's where the really huge money is.

You can be one of the biggest action stars on the planet without coming anywhere near Hollywood money. Which is what we're really talking about here.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:35 AM

Next Deniro will be Dicaprio
Old 05-30-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Jake Gyllenhall over 30?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, and he's the first one that came to mind for drama.

i like seth rogan for comedy.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there are 2 potential breakout action heroes:

Jason Statham already has a lot of fans from the Tranporter movies and Crank, and I know of no backlash against him like there was against Segal and Van Damme in their primes. He does the tough-guy bit well, but is somehow likable through all the mayhem. I think he's one Joel Silver movie away from superstardom.

Tony Jaa has the potential to reach a Jackie Chan level of worldwide stardom. If some enterprising producer teamed him up with Jet Li, it would be the biggest action movie of the year internationally. Like with Statham, action movie fans love him, and almost nobody dislikes him. I'm not sure how good his English is, but if he can become more or less fluent I think he has at least as good a chance as anybody as becoming a major star.

[/ QUOTE ]

both are over 30 with statham being well over 30, so that doesn't really work with what was wanted in the OP

with action and comedy, its kind of hard to predict because both kind of need people over 30 for stardom to happen. With action films, you need a guy who is kicks ass and is believeable, and generally the big action guys are long time struggling actors. With comedy, that's a skill that takes a bit of time to nurture

for the drama actor, I'd go with Jake Gllyenhall, Ryan Gosling, topher grace, and joseph gordon-leavitt. All have a lot of talent and have really started to string good performances together, with Gllyenhall leading that pack. Sarah Polley should also be noted for directing to go along with her quality acting work. In fact, she should be much wider known if she had taken some bigger roles in the past, but she's gone for roles that she is into and has stayed in the independant world for almost all of her work
Old 05-30-2007, 11:24 AM

All -

Ryan Reynolds for action and/or comedy?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:43 AM

Both if Blade 3 is anything to go by. And excellent choice.

He's over 30 though, right?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Next Deniro will be Dicaprio

[/ QUOTE ]

DiCaprio is 32 and he's as good as anyone working in the movies today.