Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 02:43 PM

Default I dont know how to play limit hold\'em but I try anyway. 20/40

Limit hold'em is not my regular game but I've been giving it a shot sometimes, trying to learn. I don't know how badly i suck but just wanted some help on a hand.

Live 20/40

I've just sat down and villain on my immediate right immediately starts annoying the hell out of me. Asking me all sorts of stupid questions. I think he's a regular and I feel like he does this to everybody purposely to annoy them. I don't really pay attention.

Anyway,

folded to villain in cutoff, he raises.
I 3/bet A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] from button, he calls.

Flop K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
He stares directly at me before flop comes out and checks blind. I bet, he c/r without looking at board. I 3/bet he calls.

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
He looks at board and checks, I check behind.

River A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
He bets I raise. He thinks, 3/bets. I call.

Like I said, I suck at limit hold'em so where did i mess up.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: I dont know how to play limit hold\'em but I try anyway. 20/40

Just call the river. Dont raise. You chop with any ace he could be betting here, and if he's bluffing he isnt calling a raise anyway.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:48 PM

Yeah, just call the river. I think you can safely fold to the 3-bet. Otherwise, it's fine. I don't always call the flop c/r, but I often do (I assume you're prepared to fold to a turn bet).
Old 05-13-2007, 04:27 AM

call the river for reasons already stated. fold to a 3-bet. should have bet the turn, for Ace high may be good. You dont want to give him a free shot at pairing on you.
lots of mistakes, but your thinking about what would be correct, which is good.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:01 AM

Ben, if this is you which I'm pretty sure it is, it seemed like yesterday you were trying way too hard to play well and ended up playing terrible as a result, because I thought you played about 98790870974835 times better the two times we played 40 together. I'm almost positive that most the times you 3bet or capped you had hands that probably should have been folded. The hand I had the T9h if you really had KQ then that is the easiest fold ever vs Michael's 3bet and you should have raised the flop and called down a 3bet. If you had AK/QJ there those hands are practically the same in that situation and you should just call down and hope I have AK basically because the worst 2 hands I can have there are AK/AA and I'm betting into Michael's 3bet and your cap so my range is probably closer to the top. You should also fold to my river 3bet instantly because at that point I know you don't have a straight or a set because you would have raised earlier so I'm 3betting all my straights/sets. You also tried to make people fold, which is almost always a mistake as terrible players never fold so the obvious way to exploit them is to value bet as thin as it gets while never wasting chips trying to force them to fold. Also this hand is bad and if you feel the need to see a showdown here you should just call down, but I doubt you win because it's hard for even an annoying douche bag to have a draw for you to be ahead of on a K66r board.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:04 PM

Tyler, not Ben.

Will forward your comments to Ben.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:07 PM

call his gay flop c/r. dont pop the river. bang his wife.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:46 PM

Sean, this is Ben on Tyler's account. I had kings in that hand. Here was my thinking. I still think raising earlier might have been best, however, I was pretty sure you had straight, because when you said "That's a great flop for my hand" it was very believable. But I have to give you range of smaller set, aces, or zip, because I have no feel and I have to factor that in. If board pairs on river it's so unlikely that you put me on house and don't threebet because you know I'd raise set or two pair on the flop. If you have smaller house, you get skull [censored]. Additionally, I can narrow Michael's range down to hands that can only call you down, since he's just calling on flop, so I get his extra bet each street whereas he would fold to your threebet on the flop, plus if a ten comes I can definitely fold on the river if he bets, because his range is almost all ace hands. The river raise was just stubborn and inconsistent with my thinking throughout the hand, and I should have just called and definitely folded to the threebet, but every time my thinking against you has been fold, I've been wrong so I decided to just figure out my thinking and do the opposite against you. Nice. I had a lot of big hands, I think I ran good, and I know I made a lot of mistakes, but I learned a lot. My strategy was to play as many pots as I could in position. I could steal the button every time it was on seats 8 9 and 1, so I could almost always gain position after the flop. Additionally, deathdonkey was calling with anything, so I could play against a random hand with position against seats 2-4 who I know are all excellent post flop players and I could learn from making mistakes against them. I wasn't going to get that from playing gnitty against them. Also, now Michael thinks I'm a loose cannon so he's screwed when we play the 40, until he feels out my style change. It wasn't that expensive for me, and I felt like seats 8-1 were extremely predictable. deathdonkeys frequent preflop raises put you and Michael in horrible spots where you had to play an extremely gnitty preflop selection, because the way I'm playing you feel like I'm going to enter every pot behind you, so I know whenever you guys come in you're strong. The hand where I threebet you out of the small blind then checkraised the flop after you capped pf and I later said "I had two raggedy overcards" I had AKo and I think I should have folded there because with all the weak players limping in tons of aces and kings must have been out of the deck and I think I was just playing that hand in a horrible spot the way the game and my image were at the time and the way you were playing to adjust for deathdonkeys play(here he just limped). I have a lot to learn, but I think what I learned from changing styles at the 20 was worth whatever it may have cost me, and maybe I even had the right style for my seat in the game. Then again, I know nothing about limit, so I would take your opinion. In no limit, changing styles is probably way more effective than in limit. Anyways, I gotta play chinese with sam and tyler and if you're still in town you should come over, we're having some heated hand discussions. It's pretty sweet.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:49 PM

P.S. Don't ever mix me up with Tyler, if it was me, I would called everyone fish and proceeded to describe a hand how I made a brilliant miscalculation or something.