FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: hm?
Raise 21 65.63%
Limp 11 34.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2007, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Help settle this argument - Hot A/C

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to hear someone's argument for "Stay the same".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, am I missing something?
Old 01-12-2007, 02:06 AM

well its clear it does SOMETHING (it at least makes the air more dry, which is why you turn the AC on to remove humidity buildup, while keep the air hot), but the question is, does the temperature decrease (i mean clearly it does when the temp setting is set to the lowest setting)? I guess the real question is HOW does the AC decrease the temperature ... is this bypassed if the temp setting is set to high?
Old 01-12-2007, 02:06 AM

If you have the knob turned all the way over to the hottest setting, and you hit the "AC" button, the air does not get colder, and will not get colder, until the knob is turned to the cooler side.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:22 AM

I think this depends on the car.

In my car, if I have the temperature control all the way on heat and then turn on the AC the air coming out of the vents is still hot, but not as hot as when the AC is off.

In my wife's car, the AC button doesn't do anything when the temperature control is set to heat unless you turn on the windshield defogger.

My previous car had automatic climate control with a seperate button for the AC. When it was cold outside, turning the AC on dehumidified the car but didn't change the temperature.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:36 AM

In my 97 explorer to get the heat going I just turn it the tempature knob to hot/red and then put it on AC and hot air comes out.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my 97 explorer to get the heat going I just turn it the tempature knob to hot/red and then put it on AC and hot air comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Xterra and Dodge Ram i can get heat with the temp. knob turned to hot, vent on, but no AC function turned on. With the knob turned to cold, the air is around outside temp. until the AC function is turned on.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:15 AM

it doesnt sound like we have a concensus
Old 01-12-2007, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have the knob turned all the way over to the hottest setting, and you hit the "AC" button, the air does not get colder, and will not get colder, until the knob is turned to the cooler side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be shocked to find a car that does not fit the above.

AC dehumidifies the air (anytime you are using the defogger your AC is activated), it won't change the temperature. In my Toyota the AC light comes on whenever the defog is on and I get so annoyed when ppl say "Why in the world do you have the AC on? LOLZ"
Old 01-12-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be shocked to find a car that does not fit the above.

AC dehumidifies the air (anytime you are using the defogger your AC is activated), it won't change the temperature. In my Toyota the AC light comes on whenever the defog is on and I get so annoyed when ppl say "Why in the world do you have the AC on? LOLZ"

[/ QUOTE ]

serious question: why does the air get colder when you are on the cold setting + AC? Clearly the air is not very cold if you just set it to the coldest setting without AC (air just comes straight in from the outside basically)
Old 01-12-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
serious question: why does the air get colder when you are on the cold setting + AC? Clearly the air is not very cold if you just set it to the coldest setting without AC (air just comes straight in from the outside basically)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well obviously when the AC is on the the compressor for the ac is going when its set on cool, and the ac button is pushed. The answer to your first question has to do with if the compressor also runs when the temp is turned on hot, and my guess is that it changes from car to car depending on how old it is.