Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Former Republican going Libertarian

this recent event has really shaken my belief in the political system. i'm a young guy, mid 20's, who up until now has voted Republican every time. i'm a classic liberal economically and a social liberal (pro-choice, etc.) but always felt that the Republicans most closely approximated my belief in small government, lowered taxes, anti-paternalistic gvt, etc. i was happy when bush won in 2000 after that disgusting sham recount and initially supported the war in iraq (though over the past two years that support has wavered considerably).

but after this most recent act, I've decided to go straight up Libertarian. i was one of those who liked many aspects of their ethos, but didn't want to "waste" my vote by voting their way.

no more. in fact, i'm even tempted to vote Democrat in the future after witnessing the perils of one party controlling the entire government apparatus. America is really no longer a "free" country in any real sense of the word. the patriot act and its breadth was appalling, and the recent soon to be passed bill mentioned in another thread is even more vile.

i recently relocated to DC and i most certainly don't feel free here. the police presence is insane, even in the suburbs, cameras are everywhere, etc. [censored], (and this is universal in America), i can't even buy pita bread in the grocery store without being added to some anti-terror government watchlist. can't send an email without them reading it, can't make a post on a discussion board without them reading it, can't make a phone call without them listening to it...anyway i'm off on a tangent

the Libertarians may not be able to win anything, but at least I'll have left the voting station with my conscience intact after voting for them in the future.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Former Republican going Libertarian

If it pleases the mods, could we only have one thread on switching political parties/ideologies?

Very well. Future discussion can go to [censored]'s thread. Locked.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:59 PM

Welcome to the party of freedom lovers. Never be ashamed of voting your conscience. My conscience is what guided me to libertarianism in the first place.

Republican's will tell you that you are 'wasting your vote'. Just remember that is just the noise they make to get you to vote how THEY want you to vote.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it pleases the mods, could we only have one thread on switching political parties/ideologies?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree we have like three or four

edit: OP,

Welcome to the libertarian fold. I pretty much have the same story, Pretty much a conservative/Republcan that believes the Republcans are out of control with their spending and moral legislation.
Closed Thread