Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-29-2006, 02:52 PM

Default OOT Volunteer Activities

Private Joker's thread sparked my interest in what sort of charitable/volunteer things OOT does. So here's your chance to show everyone else how good of a person you are as well as see if anyone else out there wants to help.

I just created an AIDS Walk team for my company for the Austin AIDS Walk. Pretty self explanatory. Here's a link if you're feeling generous today. I'd love to see someone put OOT on my donors list.

Another project I'm working on is for Engineers Without Borders. It's a non-profit group that works with communities worldwide to help develop sustainable solutions that they can maintain, empowering them to improve their every day living situations.
The project I'm working on is in El Salvador and will provide basic things such as water treatment and waste management. We may also build a community center for ongoing education and to provide a place for eco-tourism.
Contact me if you're interested in helping or donating to similar projects.

Also I'd like to mention I ran this by NT for concern of promoting spamming. Keep this thread to volunteer and charitable activities and not a place for advertising agencies which work for profit, also advertising for an agency that employs you may be across the line.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: OOT Volunteer Activities

Old 09-29-2006, 03:08 PM

I've done Habitat for Humanity in the past, definitely a cool experience.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:01 PM

I volunteer at a High School and help the kids who are behind to catch up to everyone else. I am also going to join Big Brothers in October.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:17 PM

I'm the president of my local Lion's club. This weekend, I'll be helping with a pasta dinner from noon til 11pm. On Sunday, we will be selling concessions for a local 10k charity run from 7am til 3pm. At 3:30pm, I'll be drinking beer and watching football - [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].
Old 09-29-2006, 04:22 PM

I always leave my extra pennies in the penny tray at the gas station, liquor store, or 7-11.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:27 PM

i volunteer teaching subsidized horse riding lessons. i also volunteer to ride neglected horses at the stables where i teach the lessons, but that's for purely selfish reasons (i like horses, i can't justify owning one myself).

i used to volunteer coaching soccer, but i had to give that up when i started working weekends.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:31 PM

AIDS walks are so LOL to me.

The whole idea of walking to find a cure for AIDS makes absolutely no sense.

Anyone else agree with me on this?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

AIDS walks are so LOL to me.

The whole idea of walking to find a cure for AIDS makes absolutely no sense.

Anyone else agree with me on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they walk to raise money. I don't think anybody actually thinks that the cure for HIV is going to be found by the physical act of walking.

Edit: So I guess my answer to your question is, if people walk thinking that by walking they might miraculously find the cure to HIV, then yes, I find it funny.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:42 PM

You get a couple thousand people out there and there's a lot better chance you're going to find it in the grass or on a sidewalk instead of just one perosn out walking around the city.

Seriously though, it's just an event to get people to donate. It makes as much sense as having a bake sale or silent auction to raise money for AIDS.
It's easier for participants to get donations by having some event that people will sponsor them for. It also a recruiting tool for gathering participants. People are more willing and motivated for something like this as opposed to me saying "Hey, you wanna go ask people for money for AIDS for a while?"