Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Backpacking in WY / Gear List

Badger - Trust me on this, raingear is of very little use in the backcountry. It's much more important to bring capilene type clothing that dries out quickly and wicks moisture away from your body. Don't bring anything cotton. Goretex is worthless once it gets dirty. Goretex jackets are also bulky and heavy.

I didn't know you were bringing your noob gf. This fact alone will add a solid 15 pounds to your back. It also means bringing a tent.

Don't tell me I'm crazy about the boots either. If you and your girl don't have a pair of WELL BROKEN IN hiking boots, you will both be in misery if you wear hiking boots. And like I keep saying, every pound, every ounce you can cut in wieght, will end up making a big difference.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:30 PM

man - I'll go ahead and say you don't know what you're talking about.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Badger - Trust me on this, raingear is of very little use in the backcountry. It's much more important to bring capilene type clothing that dries out quickly and wicks moisture away from your body. Don't bring anything cotton. Goretex is worthless once it gets dirty. Goretex jackets are also bulky and heavy.

I didn't know you were bringing your noob gf. This fact alone will add a solid 15 pounds to your back. It also means bringing a tent.

Don't tell me I'm crazy about the boots either. If you and your girl don't have a pair of WELL BROKEN IN hiking boots, you will both be in misery if you wear hiking boots. And like I keep saying, every pound, every ounce you can cut in wieght, will end up making a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

My rainjacket is 13 ounces and very breatheable. I think it's quite worth it. My tent is < 4 pounds as well, so I don't mind bringing that for my sake and not the girlfriends. I think we just have different take on the whole matter. I've never had an issue with pack weight getting to me, and am often camping in snow. Going as UL as you recommend just can't be done when you're camping in freezing temperatures. I'd be in complete agreement if I was doing long distances on the Appalachain Trail.

And yes the gf has worn in hiking boots. And she pulls all her own weight. She did a hell of a job of it on our first trip to CO. Last year I bought her a similar boot to my Asolo's that have given me, I think, one blister in hundreds of miles of hiking.

I'm sure I'll come back to your advice sometime when I get around to another 100+ mile trip.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
man - I'll go ahead and say you don't know what you're talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man's advice is about as good/bad as yours.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:22 PM

Badger, if you really are worried about fire, I've done a few decent backpacking trips in the Bighorns. They are smaller and lower than the wind river range, the highest peak is just barely over 13,000 and the rest are 12 or less. They are not on fire this summer either, so that is good. Still have fire restrictions, but I've had much use for a campfire while backpacking anyway.
With this little lead though, I would stick with your original plan, just look up the fire maps. The air quality could be pretty horrible if you are anywhere near that big Purdy fire though.

I looked at your gear list a few times and nothing sticks out as missing. I would pack rain gear for sure, but I don't think you will use it next week. I've spent too many days soaked to the bone and hating myself to not have it with me anymore. Same thing with boots, it is too easy to hurt yourself in a trail shoe carrying a big pack over rocks.

You might be lucky run into some wild raspberries between 9,000 and 10,000 feet. I'm not sure if it is too late for them to be ripe, but it seems to me I've ate them when bowhunting in September before.

Have fun, and PM me if you want a backup plan for the bighorns.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:20 PM

Best bet for raingear/tent is a silnylon Poncho/tarp. It is completely waterproof, will protect you well enough from the elements, can be used to create shelter as a tarp, and only weighs a couple of ounces. If you and your gf have one, you could make a decent sized "tent" with it.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:35 AM

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

I don't have one, but ive heard good things. However, it is not practical for the OP considering the girl with him.

Boris - When you go to trail shoes instead of boots, are you still packing 40 pounds?

rJ_
Old 08-25-2006, 01:35 AM

an axe for splitting firewood
Old 08-25-2006, 02:16 AM

One thing i didnt see that many carry is bear spray. Perhaps it is a non-issue in WY. Others dont feel its worth the extra weight or useless. Personal preference for some.

rJ_
Old 08-25-2006, 02:25 AM

Yeah, rope to hang your food away from camp is definitely key. And a camera to take lots of pictures for the trip report when you get back!