Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit

Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars 1/2 QQ

Hands I never slowplay:
QQ, JJ, made straights
Old 06-26-2006, 12:10 PM

You need to raise it up here. Waiting until the turn to raise a set is usually a mistake IMO. He isn't very likely to fold so get some money in the pot on the flop.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Forget the sucked out on part. It is 100% leaving money on the table, especially if he's not folding. You raise this flop and hope he gives you the opportunity to cap.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you don't get to cap the flop, then you've left money on the table too. I think a flop cap is less likely than a turn bet, so I'd prefer to wait. I also think if he'd be willing to cap the flop here, he might be willing to cap the turn (maybe if he had 98, or a smaller set) which is way more profitable. We're also ignoring the possibility that he's just bluffing (or betting something like 44 which he's going to fold to a raise) where we'd much rather he kept putting bets in.

It seems to me that if you're not slow-playing here you're basically saying that one should never slow-play. You're in a smallish pot, heads up with an aggressive player who's likely to bet the next street for you if you just check. Seems like a pretty good spot for it, if there are any.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that if you're not slow-playing here you're basically saying that one should never slow-play.

[/ QUOTE ]

In micros, generally, this is true. In this particular instance, make the board less coordinated or give me a better read than, "somewhat aggressive and a little loose," and I'll go along with you. As presented, this is a raise on the flop for me, 100% of the time.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:51 PM

When I read this, I immediately thought raise the flop, because right now I have a ton of equity, and I want the money in the pot when I'm far ahead. The board has draw potential, and I don't want the villian getting to the turn cheaply.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that if you're not slow-playing here you're basically saying that one should never slow-play.

[/ QUOTE ]

In micros, generally, this is true. In this particular instance, make the board less coordinated or give me a better read than, "somewhat aggressive and a little loose," and I'll go along with you. As presented, this is a raise on the flop for me, 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've found a lot of players like this will shut down to repeated agression on a coordinated flop and set over set is really the only time I'm leaving money on the table here. Here's how the rest of the hand went down.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 8c (2 players)
MP3 bets, Hero raises, MP3 3-bets, Hero caps, MP3 calls.

River: (11.75 BB) 9d (2 players)

Final Pot: 19.75 BB

So I ended up getting my money in. Is this cap standard? I figured it is since there are exactly three hands we're afraid of JT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 88 and 99. I figure there's enough hands that are three betting us, no?
Old 06-26-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I've found a lot of players like this will shut down to repeated agression on a coordinated flop and set over set is really the only time I'm leaving money on the table here. Here's how the rest of the hand went down.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 8c (2 players)

River: (11.75 BB) 9d (2 players)

Final Pot: 19.75 BB

So I ended up getting my money in. Is this cap standard? I figured it is since there are exactly three hands we're afraid of JT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 88 and 99. I figure there's enough hands that are three betting us, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so this is exactly what I'm talking about. There are two choices: either your slow-play on the flop was terrible, or capping the turn AND river are terrible. If he's bad enough that he's playing this hard with JTo, then you should have gone harder at the flop, because his range is a lot wider than JUST JTo. If his range on the flop is JUST JTo, then you shouldn't be going so hard on the turn and river, because he sees the double-paired board and doesn't care; on the turn you could be looking at boat-over-boat, but by the river that's not possible any more.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:27 PM

raise the flop, then take control on the turn, if a scare card comes and he bets the turn its easier to see where we r at instead if a scare comes and we did not raise out on the flop