Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 06-22-2006, 10:15 PM

Default Should I get another Dog (Pics)

So first off, here's Coco. I've posted pics of her before.

Soon all my roommates and I will be gone from 9-5 most days. So I'm thinking of getting another dog to keep entertained while we're all at work. Any experiences with adding a second dog to the house? Do you think it's a good idea? Coco is a 3 year old Chocolate Lab and gets along great with other dogs. Her companion would be from the shelter. Does it matter if the new dog is male/female? Anyone have good/bad experiences with resuced dogs? Here's another picture of Coco:

Old 06-22-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Should I get another Dog (Pics)

you can't go wrong with a collie cross, my friend.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:20 PM

Also she has a big fenced in back yard to play in so I'm not too concerned about them running amok in the house.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So first off, here's Coco. I've posted pics of her before.

Soon all my roommates and I will be gone from 9-5 most days. So I'm thinking of getting another dog to keep entertained while we're all at work. Any experiences with adding a second dog to the house? Do you think it's a good idea? Coco is a 3 year old Chocolate Lab and gets along great with other dogs. Her companion would be from the shelter. Does it matter if the new dog is male/female? Anyone have good/bad experiences with resuced dogs? Here's another picture of Coco:

[/ QUOTE ]

We just got a second dog. The oldest is 3 and they are both females. They "play fight," but they love being with each other. I would say get a second dog.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:25 PM

Get another dog, dogs are social creatures.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:27 PM

You should!

We had a shelter dog-Corky-he was an 8yr(at the time) Corgi-?cross. He was also on clearance. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
He was the greatest! (we had to put him down when he was 17 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])

Talk to people at the shelter until you find the right dog-my parents did this-they were looking for something fairly specific and when a dog finally came through,they were called and did adopt him-he was a perfect match for them.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should!

We had a shelter dog-Corky-he was an 8yr(at the time) Corgi-?cross. He was also on clearance. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
He was the greatest! (we had to put him down when he was 17 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])

Talk to people at the shelter until you find the right dog-my parents did this-they were looking for something fairly specific and when a dog finally came through,they were called and did adopt him-he was a perfect match for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our 2 dogs are corgis. They're great.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are! Do you have the Pembroke or the Cardigan?

Ours was a strange mix, but had a Corgi face and short legs, with a huge body and head-but so sweet!
Old 06-22-2006, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are! Do you have the Pembroke or the Cardigan?

Ours was a strange mix, but had a Corgi face and short legs, with a huge body and head-but so sweet!

[/ QUOTE ]

They are pembroke welsh corgis. They are small dogs, but they are still very smart.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:47 PM

Adding a second dog to a household isn't an easy process, and will take some time to accomplish properly.

First off, I would look for a male dog as your second dog. Female/female dog fights are fierce.

Next, make sure you have a seperate crate for both dogs. For the first 10-14 days you are going to rotate having your dogs out in your house. One dog in its crate, the other out with you.

After this time of rotating the dogs, allow the dogs to greet the other dog while in their crate. Do this 3 or 4 times for 2 or 3 days.

Next, have two people take them for a walk together on a LOOSE leash. Don't allow them to interact, walk just far enough away from each other. Make sure you're not walking your normal route, walk them in an area that neither dog has been walked in frequently. Do this for another 10 to 14 days.

Finally, allow the dogs to meet on leash in a nuetral spot. Make sure you keep the leashes loose. Sniffing is good, but don't allow one dog to but its head or paw over the other dog's shoulder. And of course make sure there is no growling or snarling at any point of doing any of this.

PM me if you have any more questions about this.