Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Fire Tony Kornheiser

[ QUOTE ]
Kornheiser is hilarious and tells it how it is. If you don't like him, you lack a sense of humor.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can he tell like it is? He barely understands football.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kornheiser is only "hilarious" to the sub-ape IQed folk.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT.

But he makes me laugh on PTI. The man clearly has talent but he is so out of place on MNF. It doesn't make sense how someone can be great at 5:30 then horrendous a few hours later.

I stand by what I said in another thread a few weeks ago that there have to be over 1,000,000 people who can do TK's job better than he can.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:47 PM

"It doesn't make sense how someone can be great at 5:30 then horrendous a few hours later."

Doing a talking-head pundit type show like PTI is very different than doing a live sports broadcast.
Some people are capable of doing either very well. But there are many who are not.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kornheiser is hilarious and tells it how it is. If you don't like him, you lack a sense of humor.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're begging the question here. Kornheiser is only "hilarious" to the sub-ape IQed folk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm not smart enough to understand what this means. You're too smart to laugh at certain things?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

gus johnson should do every sportscast i watch.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-29-2007, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple years back or whenever it was, for the MNF doubleheader they put a 3 man team together with Jaws and Vermeil doing the color. They were great together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would've worked, except emo Dick's tears kept shorting his own mic during national anthem.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys,

Yet another interesting thread, which is why these forums keep me coming back time and time again....very very well done. You all do such a great job.

I feel as if I've said this before, but I'm continually amazed that people care so much about announcers. Theres literally no announcer that ever makes the game worse for me unless they're intentionally not aware of a football rule. There are several announcers that make the game better for me. I have never ever disliked anyone enough to want them off the air though. Am I really the only one who feels this way? I feel as if I'm spending much more attention watching the game and forming my own thoughts than listening to the announcer.

Anyway, you guys have a great night. I may step out to go to the Bellagio soon, but if you need me then just send me a PM and I'll get back to you first thing in the morning. Sleep tight.

Love,
Assani

[/ QUOTE ]

We tend to have a thread about every 2-3 weeks talking about random announcers in various sports. And they are always:

Person X sucks, Person Y rocks.

Reply: What, person X rock, person Y sucks!

It's the same everywhere, I disagree with countless announcers that some of my friends love, etc. These never get anywhere, but they can be entertaining.

[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoy PTI because of the chemistry, and I think replacing Tony with Dick Vermeil would be a huge upgrade for the same reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, PTI is always better with Tony no matter who goes with Wilbon. I actually get disappointed when I see that someone other than TK is on. Although I do like Bob Ryan, and other people hate him...don't know why, always liked him since I first saw him on sports reporters way back when.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're begging the question here. Kornheiser is only "hilarious" to the sub-ape IQed folk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm not smart enough to understand what this means. You're too smart to laugh at certain things?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just pointing out that his basis for "You lack a sense of humor" is that Kornheiser is "hilarious".

That is begging the question. Is he hilarious? Most with "a sense of humor" would probably say no. He can be funny, at times, but hilarious!? No way.

His "Schtick" tends to work on PTI, if that's what you really mean, but that is a far cry from him being hilarious on MNF. He's more like an uninformed, argumentative, over-opinionated in-law that everyone puts up with until he leaves.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

gus johnson should do every sportscast i watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-01-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just pointing out that his basis for "You lack a sense of humor" is that Kornheiser is "hilarious".

That is begging the question. Is he hilarious? Most with "a sense of humor" would probably say no. He can be funny, at times, but hilarious!? No way.

His "Schtick" tends to work on PTI, if that's what you really mean, but that is a far cry from him being hilarious on MNF. He's more like an uninformed, argumentative, over-opinionated in-law that everyone puts up with until he leaves.

[/ QUOTE ]Schtick is TK's calling card. As a native Washingtonian, I've had the pleasure over the years of reading his columns (sports and style) from the Post, listening to his radio show, and watching PTI. His sense of humor/persona tends to hit or miss (and when it misses, it grates on some people IMO).

Also, his sense of humor doesn't translate as well on TV where he has to censor himself and his thoughts much more than on print or radio. PTI works mostly due to the camaraderie and chemistry between him and Wilbon- which was generated over years of back and forth in Post columns and DC local sports TV shows (Redskins Report/Full Court Press). It's entertaining, which sometimes translates to funny when you factor in TK's schtick and the chemistry he has with Wilbon. Although he likes Jaws and Tirico, he doesn't have the chemistry or ability to be as entertaining on MNF as he is on other forms of media.

On a selfish and honest level, I won't be upset if he leaves the MNF booth- it means he can devote more time to the three other things he does very well.