Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-15-2007, 03:50 PM

Default getting the best of it / gambling for a living / gambling theory and..

Three old books, 2 by Sklansky, 1 by Malmuth. Are they any use and what's the difference between them?
Old 11-15-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Re: getting the best of it / gambling for a living / gambling theory a

Getting the best of It is the greatest book when it comes to learning about EV and mathematical expectation. It's also where you will find the classic "the 8 mistakes of poker" which Largay expanded into "the 12 mistakes of no limit holdem".

Gambling Theory is where all the stuff about Standard Deviation, fluctuations, and non-self weighting strategies first showed up. The section about poker tournaments is probably still the best book on the subject, believe it or not.

Gambling for a Living covers all of the gambling games in which you can potentially make a living playing including poker. The poker part is very introductory, IMO.

The first two are worth it. The last one is probably not required reading.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:05 PM

gambling for a living was the first 2+2 book i bought, and would have been the last had i not found these forums.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:14 PM

I didn't really "get it" until I read Gambling Theory. Changed my whole perspective on gambling.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:38 PM

Gambling Theory is a hidden gem in the 2+2 library. Mason's abilities as a writer really shine in this book. Gambling Theory is a great marriage between the quantitative/theoretical and the anecdotal.

For nuts and bolts math, Getting the Best of It covers various permutations and combinations which one will cover in gaming situations. Its been a few years since I last had it open and have forgotten much of the contents.

Gambling for a Living covers areas like sports betting and horse racing. It may be a little dated and the sports betting section has been surpassed by King Yao's "Weighing the Odds in Sports Betting".

Again, I've not opened any of these books in well over a year and may be giving Sklansky short shrift, but Mason's book has always been a favorite.