Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Dealing as a part-time job in retirement?

im gonna hijack this thread for a bit.... im graduating college in the spring and likely heading to vegas with a friend. my friend will be living there full time as he's getting a job with harrahs, so im tagging along for some "vacation" time, looking to spend 6mo-1yr out there and obviously need a job.... my question is: what experience would i need in order to get a job dealing cards (preferably holdem, but i could do table games) as a 22 year old, and will I hate this job (bc as of now i think it sounds like it would be fun). also could i actually support myself out there doing this if i dont burn my money? somebody help me out
Old 11-08-2007, 08:20 PM

dont see why you couldnt. From what I have heard it is hard to get into one of the places on the strip unless you have been working for a while. However you can work off strip a lot easier. I dont know if this is true. I dont work there (I work in LA).
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 PM

why don't you just learn how to beat the game for a marginal profit playing NIT style and supplement yourself that way?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:27 PM

I work with several dealers who are 65+. I don't reccomend dealing for a retirement job. Also it is very difficult to find a part-time dealing job. The only part-time dealing jobs are tournament gigs which new dealers will be lucky to crack $50 in tokes. Good full time dealers can crack $300 a day in tokes.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 PM

In AC it's just the opposite, all dealers start out part time. It's also not uncommon to see a few older dealers.

I'm not retirement age but I moonlight as a PT dealer for now. The money is decent but typically a lot less than what some people say it is. I don't think it's a bad PT job all-in-all, especially if you don't have to depend on the income, it's not always steady.

I'll also point out that dealing is unlike playing in almost every sense. I don't find dealing particularly enjoyable (most dealers don't), but I still love playing. It's not the same at all.

If you're just looking to do it PT for supplemental income, it's fine if you have fairly thick skin. It's not how I'd want to spend any of my retirement... I mean you certainly won't get treated with the type of respect you're probably accustomed to teaching at college.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:37 PM

dealing is work. playing is fun. However I do enjoy dealing and as they say if you do something you enjoy you arent really working at all...