Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Regional Beers and Local Favorites

hahaha, I feel like posting this, especially since I am a big Rogue fan. I was at their public house on Wednesday and had a horribly disgusting beer. It was called Chamo-melon. It was some sort of chamomile/melon combo that was horrid. They tried though.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all,

can someone suggest a brown ale available in michigan? i like newcastle, but i'm sure there's something better, and it might be cheaper, as newcastle is hella expensive when it's not on sale ($9.99 a sixer at meijer) also newcastle comes in a clear bottle so local might be better.

thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you get Rogue in Michigan? If so, try their Hazelnut Brown Nectar. It's pretty good, though it borders on being overly sweet. If that's not your speed, and/or you want to keep it local, you can try Bell's Best Brown Ale or Dark Horse Boffo Brown Ale. Can't say I've had either of them though. Believe it or not, Michigan is one of the best beer states in the country, rivaled only by California and Oregon, IMO. How much of the local fare have you tried?

[/ QUOTE ]

not much more than bell's oberon, i haven't been of age for more than a couple months!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:06 PM

Grasshopper beer Micro Brew from canada
Old 09-30-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lancaster Milk Stout is phenomenal. It's sweet and creamy but with just enough bite. You can't imagine how good it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. Very good beer.

[ QUOTE ]

Victory HopDevil may be the best beer ever made. It's extremely hoppy and loaded with alcohol. It's a real treat. Victory makes other good beers, too, but the HopDevil is the king.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent. I've deemed it "The Punisher" as a local bar had it on special one evening. I felt much less special in the AM after drinking a sick amount of it. Just so good.

[ QUOTE ]

Great Lakes Brewing is a great regional brewery. Their Christmas Ale is a lot of fun; it tastes like a gingerbread cookie. But for awesomely hoppy beers, the winner is Great Lakes' Burning River. Hoppy, citrusy - great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Burning River is was a nice surprise find for me. Was in Sandusky this summer and picked up 6 of these on a whim at the store. Very good. Nice and hoppy.

Our tastes seem very similar. Good calls around, my friend.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:44 PM

If you're in a region where you can get Victory's Hop Devil, I found that I much preferred Ithaca's Cascazilla. It's a similar beer, but I found it had better hop flavor and a better malt behind the hops. Personally, my favorite Victory beer is their Moonglow, which is a style of beer very few brewers make called a Weizenbock. As you might guess, it's a bock-style beer made with wheat instead of barley. This beer is fairly sweet with hints of fruit and spices to go with the yeastiness and dark wheat malt.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:42 PM

I missed out an any chance to try any decent MN beer. I was there for 36 hours, and just as predicted drank nothing but MGD light, Jaeg and whiskey. I had apple juice on the flight their and back.

Were it not for my parents and girlfriend I surely would have missed my flight back to Austin. After my third puking session, which happened in the Memphis airport, I started to feel better and tonight I am again looking forward to drinking some of these beers mentioned in the OP.

MrWookie, I'll keep an eye out for that. I like Hop Devil and also enjoyed Victory's Prima Pils and Golden Monkey, their tripel. I'm starting to get into Belgian beers after years of favoring stouts and IPAs. I've seen you mention plenty of Belgian beers. Any recommendations for ones I'll find in Texas?