Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: 10 nl qq 200 bb deep

If you are pretty sure that CO would would have reraised preflop with AA/KK, then you should reraise the short-stack's push to isolate him. Make it at least $6, possibly push. CO might have AQ/AK and call, but as long as you are pretty sure he doesn't have AA/KK it's best to get him out of the pot so you can go heads up with shorty with what's already in the pot as overlay.

As played preflop, KJ/AJ/QJ/JT are probably in the loose CO's range, so bet more on the flop and expect to get called or even raised by as many hands you beat as ones you don't. His range that will do something other than fold to a cb is pretty wide: 33,66,JJ,45s,AJ,KJ,QJs,JTs, and maybe even TT or 99 if he likes to float one street hoping you have AK/AQ. So, bet more on the flop. Bet at least $5 or $6. At that point, you are pretty much pot-committed and you can push the turn and expect most of the Jx hands to call.

As played, his min-raise on the turn seems pretty strange. Did 45s just make a straight? Did he slow play a set? Is he misreading your very small turn bet as weakness and therefore raising with AJ or KJ? I think you should call the min raise, then check/see what he does at the river. Ordinarily, I'd make a block/fold at the river, but if you block for $3 and he goes all-in for just $5 more, it will be hard fold given the pot-odds. So, check/call a small river bet (up to $4). Consider folding to a river push. Given your read of him typically playing very passively post flop, then I don't think he pushes the river with top pair only if you check on the end. On the other hand, if you think he will push top pair, then c/c. And if you think he will call a river push by you with all those Jx hands because he'll feel "pot-committed," then just push the river. It just seems that you feel that the turn min-raise screams strength from this particular player, and in that case you might choose to exercise some caution on this particular river.

I really think you would have been better off reraising preflop enough to either get rid of CO or, if he called, make the pot big enough so your cb is all-in for the size of the pot and he will feel compelled to call with any top-pair hand and many draws.