Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Absolute Cheating

[ QUOTE ]

Someone in this thread (could have been one of the other two threads actually) said that they are regulated and audited by PWC and pointed to this website

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it doesn't mention pwc anywhere on their site. I'd imagine it would if they were actually audited by them.

As far as I can see they are 'regulated' by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, a body that has never taken any action against any site's under their remit and is known to be basically just a front to deflect complaints agaisnt it's members.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well it doesn't mention pwc anywhere on their site. I'd imagine it would if they were actually audited by them.

As far as I can see they are 'regulated' by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission, a body that has never taken any action against any site's under their remit and is known to be basically just a front to deflect complaints agaisnt it's members.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking further into this, it turns out that PWC only perform financial auditing.

According to the website of Kahnawake Gaming Commission

[ QUOTE ]
The Commission has adopted technical standards that are applied to ensure that the games offered by a permit holder are fair to players. An applicant’s systems are subjected to a risk analysis prior to implementation and an audit plan is established to ensure systems comply with the Commission’s requirements. Operational monitoring and audits are conducted on a monthly basis to ensure continuing compliance. *

* Risk analysis performed by Gaming Associates

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the link to Gaming Associates' web site
http://www.gamingassociates.com/

[ QUOTE ]
Security

Gaming Associates provides information security consulting services in the context of e-commerce gambling. E-commerce gambling operates in a hostile threat environment, Gaming Associates have been managing these scenarios for customers since the mid-1990's.

Importantly, we provide both holistic business security view, drilling down to specific information security implementations on components of the business. Our formal risk management basis for information security ensures a cost-effective solution, which meets business needs.

Gaming Associates principals include the world's first interactive gambling regulator and the world's first regulated interactive gaming tester. We are considered the world's foremost regulated internet gambling experts. Our consultants have appeared as expert witnesses before Senate Select Committees and other Parliamentary enquiries since the mid-1990's.

Consulting to regulatory authorities in relation to effective interactive gambling regulation is a core competency, undertaken since our inception in 1998.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-22-2007, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Think about this logically. None of the superuser accounts ever played multiple tables, either in tournaments or in cash games, even though the guy had access to five separate accounts - and Potripper didn't cheat on the first hand he got moved to the FT. We can be sure that this visual aid, whatever it was, is an outside program that doesn't overlay itself over the AP window.

But if it's a program, why not just run multiple copies of it, even on another PC if you have to, to allow you to multitable? A hacker with 2 computers can just buy a few more and run it on extra machines, can't he?

Answer: because it's not a program. It's a login/password that allows you access to a superuser account on the AP server that can only look at 1 table at a time, and the reason the cheater only played 1 table was because he only had the one login/PW combination. There's no way something like this allows you to log in twice with the same ID, so...either a hacker used social engineering with a critical security guy at AP, or it's an inside job. Either way, it's an internal program that was compromised.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty good deductive reasoning, but it's not conclusive. Another possible explanation has already sort of been floated in that the cards might not be shown in a GUI, and he/they have already demonstrated sucking at poker so maybe they can only keep up with one table at once. Not saying you are wrong, just that this specific piece remains speculation. Very well-founded and reasoned, but still speculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. It is silly to think that this would be in GUI form unless it was a superuser account created by Absolute I will admit that I have no hacking experience, but it would seem to me that if you were trying to hack the holecards that it might be a lot more complicated than simply running a program that points to a specific table and just spits out the packets that are sent to other players. I would think that you would have to continually be adjusting the attack, maybe each hand if you are attacking a vulnerability in that the HHs are saved to Absolute's servers in real time (which also might explain away a few of the questionable preflop actions from EP e.g. 99 vs QQ), maybe whenever new players join the table. I don't know, but none of it seems conducive to multitabling. I still don't buy that it has to be an inside job because of the non multitabling.

Fell
Old 09-22-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a piece of the puzzle I don't get.

If AP really did not find anything then why have these accounts not been seen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they are waiting for "How to Cheat for Advanced Players"?

Fell
Old 09-22-2007, 12:57 PM

I see no reason why there couldn't be a remote system on Absolute's network to take over from which to sniff packets and thus do man-in-the-middle attacks.

They're incompetent in every other way, why couldn't they be incompetent in setting secure firewalls, etc.?
Old 09-22-2007, 01:01 PM

okay, thread over, report to thread #4
Closed Thread