Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 06-24-2007, 05:47 PM

Default 2/4 Pocket queens flop decision

CO is an unimaginative TAG, BB is bad. CO hesitated slightly before raising me on the flop FWIW.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds

I figured the only hand a TAG like this would raise me here with was K, hoping I reraised and trapped BB for more bets. So i quickly got rid of the queens. Too weak or OK?
Old 06-24-2007, 05:50 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Pocket queens flop decision

AQ AJ AT [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 66 77 88 99 TT. Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is a sick money card for you. i call!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:51 PM

I think you need a really strong read to make this play. Folding the flop right away is certainly a play in my playbook vs a very small group of players but I would call down vs this guy.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:05 PM

But checkraising the flop with a pair or a flushdraw would be pretty awful, considering he will almost never get BB to fold and he'll have to give me at least a bit of credit after 3betting a 21/16 guy like him. Or am i missing something? I am also pretty sure this type of guy would have donked a pocket pair.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:13 PM

My general theory is that the guys who predictably donk PP's on these flops are usually the same guys who wait till the turn w/ their trips so I don't fold either. He has position on BB so not much reason for villian to worry about him.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But checkraising the flop with a pair or a flushdraw would be pretty awful, considering he will almost never get BB to fold and he'll have to give me at least a bit of credit after 3betting a 21/16 guy like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesnt need to fold out BB. He just needs you to fold a better hand. Having BB calling with a worse hand is no problem for CO.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:42 PM

Well, you guys are probably right and i'll call this down 90% of the time too. This was just one time i just had to go with my feelings and this time it proved to be the right decision (my feelings have been wrong lots of the other times lol).

The Q of hearts would indeed have been one sick turncard, giving me Queens full, BB a flush and CO Kings full [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But checkraising the flop with a pair or a flushdraw would be pretty awful, considering he will almost never get BB to fold and he'll have to give me at least a bit of credit after 3betting a 21/16 guy like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesnt need to fold out BB. He just needs you to fold a better hand. Having BB calling with a worse hand is no problem for CO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for setting this straight oink, i somehow missed this point when thinking about my decision which is bad.