Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 01:08 PM

Default QQ: check the turn for pot control?

thanks everyone for the advice so far on my other hands...

i'd appreciate any advice on this one. i have no read on the villain. i bet this turn because my opponents have been sucking out on me constantly lately, but i'm thinking i should have checked to control the pot size. once i got checkraised i basically had to call. any thoughts?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

CO ($45.75)
Button ($15.89)
SB ($39.75)
Hero ($51.25)
UTG ($53.14)
MP ($17.30)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.75, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, Button folds, SB calls $4.

Flop: ($11) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10.45</font>, SB calls $10.45.

Turn: ($31.90) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $17</font>, SB calls $24.30 (All-In), Hero calls $7.30.

River: ($80.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $80.50
Old 04-13-2006, 01:14 PM

Default Re: QQ: check the turn for pot control?

[ QUOTE ]
. i bet this turn because my opponents have been sucking out on me constantly lately, but i'm thinking i should have checked to control the pot size. once i got checkraised i basically had to call. any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, if he has been sucking out on you that means he is great (bad) and you should run to sit next to him at all times. Don't let it effect your play though.

Yes I raise here. I have a question. Did you think he was just going to call? With 24 dollars left he isn't going to call a raise for 2/3rd his stack. He is going to push or fold. If you made that bet thinking he was just going to call it was a bad play. If you were hoping for a push back at you it was smart. When a guy sucks out a lot that usually means he calls while behind. I would assume he would do so here and make that bet if i know he is going to call/push back.

You aren't behind much and I am happy as heck to get the villain to put all his money in chasing a draw on the turn
Old 04-13-2006, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. i bet this turn because my opponents have been sucking out on me constantly lately, but i'm thinking i should have checked to control the pot size. once i got checkraised i basically had to call. any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, if he has been sucking out on you that means he is great (bad) and you should run to sit next to him at all times. Don't let it effect your play though.

Yes I raise here. I have a question. Did you think he was just going to call? With 24 dollars left he isn't going to call a raise for 2/3rd his stack. He is going to push or fold. If you made that bet thinking he was just going to call it was a bad play. If you were hoping for a push back at you it was smart. When a guy sucks out a lot that usually means he calls while behind. I would assume he would do so here and make that bet if i know he is going to call/push back.

You aren't behind much and I am happy as heck to get the villain to put all his money in chasing a draw on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the reply ribsauce. my op was a little confusing; he specifically hadn't been sucking out on me, i've just been on a coldstreak in general recently and am questioning my play. i probably should have just put him all-in on the turn.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:20 PM

If you pretend you made the 17 dollar bet knowing he was going to push back then you played this perfect. If he had trips, AA, KK, or rivered a flush then whatever (or had 87 for flopped straight). I go broke every time if thats the case, make a note, and reload.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:58 PM

Put him AI on the turn every time.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Put him AI on the turn every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup...lots of draws to defend vs