Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: One of my friends thinks Theo Epstein is an overated GM.

[ QUOTE ]

IMO, OPS = BS

[/ QUOTE ]

holy smokes. Is this a troll? I wanna know for real.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:00 PM

i'm pretty sure he's serious, kurn doesn't have a sense of humor.

iirc he also once made a post, i think in OOT, about what to do when he got fat from sitting around playing poker and the only pants he could fit into for jury duty were sweat pants [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

if i'm thinking of the wrong person my apologies
Old 10-24-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

iirc he also once made a post, i think in OOT, about what to do when he got fat from sitting around playing poker and the only pants he could fit into for jury duty were sweat pants [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be thinking of the wrong person too, but didn't he take some woman on an expensive date and then send her an email the next day that referenced how much he spent the night before? IIRC, he also mentioned in the same email that he lost money playing poker and then she wanted nothing to do with him anymore because he had a gambling problem. Is that him?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be thinking of the wrong person too, but didn't he take some woman on an expensive date and then send her an email the next day that referenced how much he spent the night before? IIRC, he also mentioned in the same email that he lost money playing poker and then she wanted nothing to do with him anymore because he had a gambling problem. Is that him?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont THINK thats him. i do however remember that story....it was chesspain i THINK?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 PM

it is possible that theo is both overrated and a good GM. that is my opinion. most of the free agent signings are fine minus the stupid julio lugo signing, which is just dumb. the red sox have had a hard-on for him forever for no good reason.

jd drew, marte, crisp, dice-k, blah blah those are all average at worst deals, most are B+ or better. the only one who is a genius re: marte is schuerholz because he traded him at his apex for an undervalued shortstop + money. that doesn't make theo an idiot.

the lack of catching talent in the minor league system is a problem, however. kottaras is nothing special and trading away bard/meredith for mirabelli is the only F----------- would not do business with again trade. how the [censored] do you get ripped off by Kevin "matt bush rules" Towers?

as for the best GMs in the game, i look at the price paid per win, the ability not to overpay in the free agent market, and their ability to draft well. due to the red sox raping the CBA for free agent picks (later changed because of them and oakland screwing every team in the known universe - hi, kenny williams), they score well in addition to everything else they've done.

i think shapiro, theo, and beane are all very good GMs at the top of the game (as was depodesta). clearly the worst is either sabean or colletti, or both since they're basically the same person.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 PM

you missed it, i made fun of touloowisitskiski, hahahahahaha.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 AM

[quotehow the [censored] do you get ripped off by Kevin "matt bush rules" Towers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin Towers isn't bad.

And the Matt Bush pick had a lot to do with money. I believe everything to do with money, as no one thought he was the No. 1 overall player. Which suggests it wasn't Towers' call, but ownership's.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the lack of catching talent in the minor league system is a problem, however. kottaras is nothing special and trading away bard/meredith for mirabelli is the only F----------- would not do business with again trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have been worried about this and mentioning it for a while, the only thing i can figure is that theo has something worked out in advance where he is like sending coco for russell martin or something.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

the lack of catching talent in the minor league system is a problem, however. kottaras is nothing special and trading away bard/meredith for mirabelli is the only F----------- would not do business with again trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have been worried about this and mentioning it for a while, the only thing i can figure is that theo has something worked out in advance where he is like sending coco for russell martin or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark Wagner looks like a solid catching prospect.