Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 03-13-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: 200/400 stud/8 hand that plays like stud high

You really think it's unlikely KK will fold to that action?

I think it's an easy fold by a decent player if he is unimproved. He has to fear split aces, two pair, trip fives, and a few other things.

To my mind the only fear here is that we are currently beaten, which seems unlikely, especially if the JA3 understands stud well enough to realize that she needs very little to justify raising to isolate here.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:42 AM

1. I could go either on 5th's 1st action. Bet or check.

Betting is likely to keep everyone around, which probably isn't best when your think one opponent has Ks and the other is probably gonna call 1-bet and is showing an Ace.

Checking could get more money in the pot, maybe fold someone, but it could get checked through if people get suspicious when you call 4th with a brick and pair your door card (hello 2 pair or trips)

2. I 3 bet if I believe the raiser could be making this play with bare Aces. I could see some people who are "aggressive, fishy, 1/2 pot players" waiting to 5th to make this raise. Also, the raise could just be insurance to boot you out and get HU with the likely Ks. Given that you have 100% live FH outs, I'd raise in this situation. Also, if the K's guy is good he MAY fold as much as Kings up to your 3-bet (again, he'd have to be able to put your squarely on trips or possible A's up).

I espically like a 3-bet if I've been kinda quiet lately and all the requirements above are met.

If the raiser has very little tendancy to be over aggresive, I think you have a clear fold.

All of this aside, I have no experience this high. And I don't know how often people are willing to fold hands like Aces up or Kings up or bare Aces for that matter.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:40 AM

4th: Joe Tall and Blumpkin, you guys are ok with peeling here on fourth. is this an ok move for stud hi hands?

is pot size and closing the action really that strong of a mitigating factor? QQ should be pinned in this spot most times right?

5th: for a king to bet there against open fives and an ace, i'm pretty sure he can beat one pair.

in other words, i feel like this is a fold on both streets.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:09 PM

I agree with you on 4th, if you think you are against split kings.

On 5th I don't agree with your reasoning. In stud 8 when a competent player completes with a 5 looking at K J J, he very likely has a low hand and everyone will assume that.

Thus the K betting 5th doesn't, imo, represent more than kings.

Likewise betting into the JA3. The ace is a little scary but not really... there was no reason to assume the J started with an A down, triply so after she failed to raise 4th.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:34 PM

DD - what's the ante structure?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:59 PM

$50 ante $50 bringin.

-DeathDonkey
Old 03-21-2007, 10:34 AM

this is a very strange hand. ive played with the girl several times this week so my opinion is biased on my experiences with her. her play changes dramatically depending on the mood shes in. in general though, she plays passively and when she jams she either has a huge draw or has hand. i dont really recall her ever raising to try and drive people out. she likes to chase chase chase.

btw, i think your peel on 4th is horrible. im really confused as to why everyone thinks its ok.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:21 PM

Mike, Something about having a really hidden hand made it seem better, but I was pretty sure the guy had split kings so I guess I agree with you I should just do the right thing and let it go. Hope the stud/8 is treating you well, going to Vegas instead of LA but might make it to Commerce on Sunday or Monday if you are still there I'll see you.

-DeathDonkey
Old 03-24-2007, 12:22 AM

If I were Sklansky and I was posting this hand in a book, I would be saying, "If you don't see why 3-betting 5th is obviously the best play by far, put this book down right now, you're not ready for it!" If you think anything else is OK, try to forget the discussion, start fresh, and weigh the options with all of the possibilities. Kings fold every time. Honestly assess how likely it is that JA3 has a hand you fear. Prove me wrong and I'll eat a bug.