Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 02:46 AM

Default A week\'s worth of things to do in vegas

Hey all. I'm gonna be in vegas with a bunch of college buddies (all 21+) for 10 days march 1-11th and I was hoping to get a week's worth of fun things to do and places to go. I have browsed the restaurant thread and got some good advice but some of the guys I'm with aren't ballas so some reasonably priced food tips would be appreciated.

Things to do besides poker: Restaurants, Bars, Strip clubs, shows, concerts, any kind of entertainment. Lets hear it.

edit: clubs too i guess? not big on clubbing but i'll prolly be so messed up i won't really care. Also, there will be a few girls with us if that brings up any more ideas.

Thanks!

-DrG
Old 01-31-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: A week\'s worth of things to do in vegas

theres a indoor shooting range called the gunstore. you can fire some ballling guns like the M16, AK47, UZI, etc. and its really cheap too

http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/
Old 01-31-2007, 03:57 AM

my friend went out on the dunes a la napoleon dynamite and said it was awesome. like 250 a person or so, and they picked them up at their hotel. sounded like it's worth looking into.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:24 PM

Awesome, will definitely check out the gun range and look into the dune trip. Any more tips from anyone on good clubs, cheap eats, cool things to see, etc?

-DrG
Old 01-31-2007, 03:45 PM

Try the Peppermill restaurant down by the Riviera - it is a classic.

http://www.usmenuguide.com/peppermill.html
Old 01-31-2007, 04:01 PM

10 days?? When I was in college I'd need a liver transplant after about 5. I assume you guys will be drinking a storm so I'd break up the week a little by doing some outside stuff. Rent a couple cars and go to Valley of Fire or closer by you can go hiking at Red Rock Canyon. Can also go to the grand canyon if you have that amount of time. It will be nice enough at Mount Charleston I think to hike - ?is there still snow up there then?
There is an indoor gokart track that I have not been to but a good friend of mine says it is a blast.
I would spend a few nights downtown. They have opened up some reasonably cool bars down there to go to.
Look up the list of Dive Bars in the Las Vegas Weekly paper web site and go on a Dive Bar crawl. http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/2004/01/01/cover.html
Don't miss Dino's on a thursday-sat for dive bar karaoke. http://www.dinoslv.com/
See a show at House of Blues. Great venue - the joint is also cool but not as many shows there. Purple Reign play at HOB and the brew pub and is a great show http://www.purplereign.net/10.html?sm=29619
If you really want to be adventurous go to the Green Door - I'll let you google that one yourself.
Reserve a table at ESPNZone and watch the bball games and run up a huge bill.

Before I moved here I went on many trips with a big group of guys that drink a ton - we would always be in various states of hangover and sleep deprivation so it is hard to get people motivated to do stuff without a plan - and if I was here that long I would definitely want to have a big list of specific stuff to do so you don't just wind up drinking at a sports book for 12 hours every day- which is fun but not for 10 days!

edit: I was just reading my dive bar link again and a couple of those places have closed
RIP Rice Paddy and Bond-Aire club. I will miss ye!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:01 PM

Cirque show is a must. Can't go wrong with any of them ... Kah seems to be the best of the bunch. If it's a mixed crowd and soem of the guys are taking their girlfriends - Zoomanity can be really entertaining.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:08 PM

As far as cheap eats, there is not a ton on the strip anymore that are all that good.
The brewpub at monte carlo is pretty good.
Blondies at Desert Passage at least used to have a killer happy hour- there are hardly any happy hours on the strip.
Commanders' palace has a 25 cent martini lunch - I think the max is 4 so if you get and expensive lunch and 1 dollar for 4 martinis that's a great deal in my book.
The noodle place by the venetian poker room my wife loves and it is pretty cheap for the venetian.
Ya gotta go to Gilley's and watch people ride the bull at the Frontier. They serve cheap food as well.
Some of the buffets that are high end you can go just at the end of lunch and pay the lunch price and then stay until they put the dinner stuff up - saves >$10 at the high end buffets.
There are some happy hour food deals downtown at some of the new bars like Hennessy's.
That's about all I can think of for now. There is not a ton of cheap AND good food on the strip.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:09 PM

Go take the dam tour. It's probably going to be too cold to rent jetskis or go water skiing, but that stuff is expensive anyway. The race track often has the Richard Petty experience or something like that, but it's fairly spendy too. If it's warm, you could pool your money and rent a houseboat or pontoon boat for the day on Lake Mead.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's warm, you could pool your money and rent a houseboat or pontoon boat for the day on Lake Mead.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great idea. It actually is pretty cheap ~$500 once you get gas and supplies, etc.