Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: AK basics for advanced players

[ QUOTE ]
my conclusion is basically that it will rarely (if ever) be a big mistake to call the CRAI with TPTK in these spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree and would add that you need a read to fold, but not to call
Old 10-23-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you've been able to properly observe this player, I would interprete the check/raise as a loosing call. You have to assume that this unknown or Tight player has you beat. It sucks when the player is unknown and you have to fold just to find out that he's a loose bluffer, but it's cheaper to wait and find out for sure... and besides, you will take note of this player for the rest of the session simply because YOU WANT TO KNOW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this advice, except that I don't see how you learn anything about the player by folding unless he's kind enough to show his cards for free.

That said, I think that players, in general, are way too afraid of folding the best hand, primarily because of ego. You have to do it on occasion. Otherwise, you'll never make the correct tough lay downs. If Villian shows the bluff, just shake it off. There are waaaaayyy worse things in life than getting bluffed off a hand.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:43 AM

I have a simple question and a simple answer:

Can you fold in this spot? No, because in the long run you are ahead most of the time.

Most of the time people are making moves or don't believe your A or simply have a weaker A or even the same hand because a SET is NOT reraising all in there.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because a SET is NOT reraising all in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker newb question: Why not?
Is it because you don't want to scare them out? I'm still playing the penny tables and see all sorts of crazy stuff. People go AI to take pot right then and there. And if someone calls, all the better. If I'm wrong here I'd like to know the correct thinking on holding the set.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:54 AM

just a very quick one, can someone explain to me what 3bet is plz?

sry for noobish Q

thx :>
Old 10-23-2007, 06:59 AM

It's putting in a 3rd bet / raise...

So preflop, if someone raises and you then re-raise, that's a 3bet (since the initial blind bet to be called counts as the 1st bet, the initial raise is the 2nd bet, your reraise is the 3rd bet).

Postflop it's if someone bets (1bet), someone raises (2bets), and you raise more it's 3 bets - so you have 3bet.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it because you don't want to scare them out? I'm still playing the penny tables and see all sorts of crazy stuff. People go AI to take pot right then and there. And if someone calls, all the better. If I'm wrong here I'd like to know the correct thinking on holding the set.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO he is wrong. A set will be going all in on a regular basis.

After the initial round of betting there is $18 in the pot and hero then puts $12 in making the pot $30. The re-raise all-in is basically a pot bet and nothing wrong with that.

If he simply called the $12 bet he is giving a possible drawing hand a free card. Not a good move.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO he is wrong. A set will be going all in on a regular basis.

After the initial round of betting there is $18 in the pot and hero then puts $12 in making the pot $30. The re-raise all-in is basically a pot bet and nothing wrong with that.

If he simply called the $12 bet he is giving a possible drawing hand a free card. Not a good move.

[/ QUOTE ]

hero's range doesn't have many draws in it, granted villain may not know this. sets won't be going all-in on a regular basis, but they will definitely get it in on this flop sometimes. as you said only a psb remains and w/few drawing hands possible, many villains will c/c the flop and go for a c/r on the turn