Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: TR: Sunshine - A real review

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really suprised by this.

I enjoyed it very much.

Overall, you have to consider, I think, what the filmmakers intended. This is definately a movie to be seen on the big screen with a large sound system.

The whole plot is revealed in the trailer. On some future Earth, Sol has stopped fusing and the Earth is turning into a giant iceberg. So much for Global Warming. Anyway, scientists have concieved of a plan to reignite the fusion artifically. The second Icarus mission carries the last remaining minable fissile material on Earth in a last gasp effort to save humanity.

Of course, the technology of the ship is far beyond anything we have today, but is still recognizable as a product of a NASA ancestor. The sequences brought about by the utter dependence on the technology of the ship were very convincing writing for me, as a vetern submariner.

The special effects were magnificent. The directing was top notch, I thought, with innovative camera work. Some parts of the film gave a realistic portrayal of what it must be to be inside a space suit. The key actors really gave it their best effort, too. I would have liked a three hour movie with lots of room for character development, but the studio must have cut it down. Some of the characters were very, very, convincing.

The plot toward the end was a little lacking, with the story of the previous Icarus mission thrown in to provide a conflict that would ultimately have to be resolved. I thought they could have made the same movie with a storyline about the internal struggles of the characters on an almost certain suicide mission and I would have liked it just as much. The Cinematic Experience is what won me over, here, and it happened in the first five minutes.

See it. In the theatre.

The darkness is void, separate from you. But the light consumes you and makes you a part of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sub...very good post

I read one of alex's early drafts and it is essentially the movie you see will some smaller bits cut out.

This essentially seemed like two movies to me that the writer struggled with an given the subject matter and of course budget...couldnt get a full handle on.

1. your typical hollywood disaster flick with great special effects but typical action sequences where all the characters are slowly killed off.

2. a small character driven film dealing with really heavy issues--end of mankind/spirituality/religion/metaphysics/losing your mind etc/paranoia etc

It seems like the film wanted to be #2 but given the plot and setup...it kept getting pulled back over to #1.

If you ever were going to have a movie with a long debate about god/religion/etc say between a atheist(cillian) and someone who is religious or open to it(psychologist) this was it. This would have been so much more awesome as a 2 1/2 hour movie with way more character development and less cliche hollywood set-ups(dude from Icarus1 etc)

I normally hate Chris Evans but he was solid in this.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: TR: Sunshine

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Did you miss that bombshell of an 8 year old? Dancing? HOT.

No but seriously, there's already a thread about this movie, and your TR sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i don't think you even know which movie i was talking about. here's a hint: i put the (entire) title of the movie in the title of my post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an idiot.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:02 PM

Hi Charlie,
In spite of the trite hollywood contrived plot device, I was actually able to take a deeper meaning out of the film. The culmination of the film with the Sun shining brighter spoke to me of a deeper undertone of free will. Man is the one animal on the planet that has the ability to influence his environment. We are the only species who will potentially be able to avert the devastating mass extinctions from asteroid impacts on the planet that happen every few hunderd million years. It is not inconcievable, that if we live long enough, that we will be able to survive the death of the sun somehow. The personification of the subservience and acceptance of the universe was in the psychokiller who "talked with God for seven years." The personification of free will was in the physicist who set the bomb off. To me, this is an epic struggle which has been happening since the dawn of consciousness. The deeper message is that freewill and the exercise of that free will in the face of the will of "God" is not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Charlie,
In spite of the trite hollywood contrived plot device, I was actually able to take a deeper meaning out of the film. The culmination of the film with the Sun shining brighter spoke to me of a deeper undertone of free will. Man is the one animal on the planet that has the ability to influence his environment. We are the only species who will potentially be able to avert the devastating mass extinctions from asteroid impacts on the planet that happen every few hunderd million years. It is not inconcievable, that if we live long enough, that we will be able to survive the death of the sun somehow. The personification of the subservience and acceptance of the universe was in the psychokiller who "talked with God for seven years." The personification of free will was in the physicist who set the bomb off. To me, this is an epic struggle which has been happening since the dawn of consciousness. The deeper message is that freewill and the exercise of that free will in the face of the will of "God" is not necessarily a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah this is why i think it was such a good if somewhat flawed film..u can take totally different meanings from it that are deep and interesting.

Danny Boyle thought it was about an atheist finding god.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:19 AM

Just watched yesterday, I thought it was great. I thought the suspense built throughout the movie and the special effects were great. The ending was a little off but I don't think it detracted from the movie.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:19 AM

I thought it was really great until they had some half man half monster guy running about taking them out one by one. I liked some of the homages to 2001 especially.