Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:22 AM

Default AJo UTG

Mansion $100k.

I have 10.5k for table chip lead but only one stack is less than 3k. Blinds 200/400 10 ante I think. Blinds go up in a couple of minutes to 300/600 when the tournie becomes a total crapshoot.

I pick up AJo UTG and make it 1000 with a view to folding to any shove except from the short stack.

I'm pretty sure the folding part is good, once you've opened. Is the opening part good ten-handed?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Re: AJo UTG

i think im gonna be playing this hand strong or not at all. dependant on how the table is playing. where is the short stack in relation to you? effective stack sizes of otehr players? do you have a large stack or barely CL?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 AM

I'm the only person restealing light but I've not been opening much and have only shown down AA IIRC.

The SS is MP1/MP2. Rest of the stacks 5k+. I'm fairly sure that no one else would three-bet worse than AJ at this table. So I'm happy raise-folding, less happy but obviously going to call SS. The question is, is raising thus worthwhile?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 AM

I play the 100k on mansion quite a lot, and IMO very few of them are thinking players, and even fewer 2p2. if the relative stacks are ~5k i'd be open raisning stronger than 1k. probably 1.5k. if short stack is pushing his range will probably be quite wide and he's not in the best position to be doing that this hand, unless he has a monster. you can fold to a shove from another player and still remain CL.

Before it does become a crap shoot you want to be accumulating chips. AJ doesn't play too well multi way, so raising strong here i feel would be your best option. you have the HH?

also cant find a hand converter for Mansion...
Old 10-10-2007, 08:40 AM

Limp.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

why.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play the 100k on mansion quite a lot, and IMO very few of them are thinking players, and even fewer 2p2. if the relative stacks are ~5k i'd be open raisning stronger than 1k. probably 1.5k. if short stack is pushing his range will probably be quite wide and he's not in the best position to be doing that this hand, unless he has a monster. you can fold to a shove from another player and still remain CL.

Before it does become a crap shoot you want to be accumulating chips. AJ doesn't play too well multi way, so raising strong here i feel would be your best option. you have the HH?

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't played at Mansion much lately, but do people really fold that much more to a 3.5x raise than a 2.5x raise with 99+,AQ+? If people are tight, it's generally a good idea to raise less since you will have good FE anyway.

I'd personally be inclined to toss this PF, but I don't think raise/folding is necessarily too bad either. There's about a 4% chance that each player will pick up a hand that has you beat, so you're taking it down the requisite 2/3 of the time just about enough.

So I think raise = fold >>>>>> limp. I still think raising 2,5x is better, espec if raising 3,5x commits you to calling a push from more players.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:29 PM

Harrington's logic is that you raise larger so that your decision to call a short stack's all-in move is easier. Guess I see both points of view.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't played at Mansion much lately, but do people really fold that much more to a 3.5x raise than a 2.5x raise with 99+,AQ+? If people are tight, it's generally a good idea to raise less since you will have good FE anyway.

I'd personally be inclined to toss this PF, but I don't think raise/folding is necessarily too bad either. There's about a 4% chance that each player will pick up a hand that has you beat, so you're taking it down the requisite 2/3 of the time just about enough.

So I think raise = fold >>>>>> limp. I still think raising 2,5x is better, espec if raising 3,5x commits you to calling a push from more players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising x 3.5 and folding to a shove still keeps you CL at the table. With blinds about to go up i'd be more inclined to play this hand here, although this would not be a standard play. As i said earlier in this situation I'm either playing this hand strong or not at all...