Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Hi all, i am new and i have few questions.

Thanks for answer dude,
I will read the book and start focusing my game, i will read another one when finish, i already satrted watching tourney in TV, i think that can help some while watching pro games.
I just want last question, how do you offer to learn from book? i mean to write down on paper good advice or what?
thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 AM

There are a lot of no deposit bonus sites out there. where all you need to do is prove your I.D and you get $50 free. Use your own cash doing what these guys are telling you to do.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:09 PM

Read and reread until you understand the concept well. Then apply in your games. Those books will soon pay for themselves.

Head to your local barnes and noble and read a few beginner's NL books.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:01 PM

Default OK, thanks !

Thanks you very much,
I will read and learn, until i will have enough skill, and i will start to play on internet.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: OK, thanks !

Hi,
The first thing to do is make a list of starting hands - most books have a chart - and keep it by your computer when you play online until it's memorized. I have Sklansky's hand rankings. I liked Phil Gordon Green Book and also Dan Harrinton books for tournament play
Old 08-29-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i already satrted watching tourney in TV, i think that can help some while watching pro games.
I just want last question, how do you offer to learn from book? i mean to write down on paper good advice or what?

[/ QUOTE ]
Be careful of gaining too much from watching poker on t.v., because they usually only show the hands with big pots, all-ins, or drama, and that can make it difficult to understand the patience required to play well. Although, it can be entertaining. Heh...

When reading the books, try to understand why the decisions are made, and not just what should be done in specific situations. Poker is very situational, and if you understand the principles behind the decisions, you will be able to make good decisions under differing circumstances.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 PM

No one seems to have answered your specific questions so I'll give them a shot. I assume you are playing No Limit.

In general the advice to read books is right. You can learn a little from specific questions but what you really need is more general knowledge so you can figure out the basics. Someone can tell you to raise pre-flop with Aces but unless you understand why you can't make adjustments and you won't know what to do in different situations. A good book should help you to understand the principles so you can figure out how to handle new or unfamiliar situations when they come up.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways another question is, if i have pair Aces at the start, before flop, shall i rase allot or just check?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are first starting out you should raise aces before the flop nearly all of the time. I would generally raise to 3x the blind - $0.75 in your case.

[ QUOTE ]
if someone rase before me, shall i rase or just call him?

[/ QUOTE ]

With aces you should re-raise most of the time. The amount to re-raise depends but usually about 3x the original raise. For example - someone raises to $0.75 and you re-raise to $2.25.

[ QUOTE ]
if the flop is deal for example 5, 6, 7 and i still got only the aces shall i rase ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should bet enough to keep people from drawing to the straight. If someone has bet ahead of you then you should probably raise unless they've bet a large amount.

[ QUOTE ]
Shall i try to bluff? when shell i do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You definitely need to bluff. Some of the easier bluffs to start with:
1) Bluff post-flop when you are the last to act and no one has bet.
2) Bluff when it seems like your opponents are worried and a scary card has come - an ace, a card that completes a flush, etc.

I think the most important beginner thing for bluffing is to make sure that your bluff looks the same as a 'real' hand. Don't bluff randomly. Make the bluff look like a normal way to play. For example, flop is J72. Someone bets and you call. Turn is an ace. They bet again and you bluff raise them even though you don't have an ace. This might be how you would play a hand like A7 or A2 so they might fold a hand with a jack.

[ QUOTE ]
How i can make that no one will be able to "read" me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about this too much to start. Don't show your cards if you don't have to. Don't react when the flop comes. Don't look at your cards until it is your turn.

[ QUOTE ]
I have allot of situations that i dont call on the first time i mean before flop and i fold then flop give cars and i could have full house, so i dont know what to do,shall i call and wait to the flop anytime or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is easy to slip into being results oriented. Don't do that. Make the right play at the time. Don't worry about what happens after. If you made the right decision at the time that is what matters. Sometimes you will fold 72 and the flop will come 772. That doesn't mean you should be playing 72.

[ QUOTE ]
I have situations for example i have 100 Chips, and we set time to finish game, i have 30 mins to stay with those 100 chips and then i have nice profit, but i loose them!! dunno how, so i would like to ask, sahll i fold any bet until the game is finised or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are times when you should just fold and wait for the money. There are times when you know that everyone else is being careful like this and you should take advantage of them. It is very hard to judge and I think only experience can really teach you. Books can help.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:30 PM

Rant, thanks for answering Benayoun's original questions.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 AM

ya
Old 08-30-2007, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Be careful of gaining too much from watching poker on t.v., because they usually only show the hands with big pots, all-ins, or drama, and that can make it difficult to understand the patience required to play well. Although, it can be entertaining. Heh...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing until I scrolled down a few posts and saw this. This is very important to understand if you are watching poker on TV. They make it seem as though there are constantly huge pots going down but you have to realize that a 30 min episode of the few hands they show is over the course of 12-14 hour days.