Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 04:54 AM

Default NL10 - What range can I give villain here? :S

Button is 36/12

Folds to villain who limps, sb completes and i make it .5 with ATo (opinions?)

Button now jams for 2.8

Range for him doing this? Should I call/fold? This confused the crap out of me...
Old 10-12-2007, 06:47 AM

Default Re: NL10 - What range can I give villain here? :S

Well, for someone like this, he has a wide range of hands that you could put him on. If I were sitting at the table with a player like this, I will first take into account that if he suffers from FPS(Fancy Play Syndrome). Than he could be playing ATC. However, even with that in my, I believe that would turn over a small to medium PP. I usually see this play with 55-99 as the villains' holding.

I can't believe that he is holding JJ+,AJ+ or KQ+. However, your hand is not too much stronger than his possible range. I would rule out SC,or gappers. So, in this instance I just muck the hand and make note of that play?

This is something that I always make note of is, "how is he playing whatever hands he is showing down?" His PAHUD stats may show 36/12, but is he a noob/donk just lagging it up and wants a fight with any holding, or is he an aggressive player who knows when to trap or get away from a hand?

Also, how does the table view you? What are your stats? If your stats are 55/20 or some crazy number like that and you have been pushing people off of pot after pot, than he sees YOUR holding as a crap hand and is taking a stand against you.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not make any NL decisions without considering the stack sizes!

Personaly, I do not normaly do this with AT in the BB if deep. But it also depends on villains. If Button will raise anything half decent then things may be different. What will the small blind do with AJ is also something Iīd like to know. Are they weak-tight or are they strong-loose-agressive and so on.

If stacks are short, plus villainsī play is such that I can be pretty sure that I have the best hand, ok, I go for it.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, for someone like this, he has a wide range of hands that you could put him on. If I were sitting at the table with a player like this, I will first take into account that if he suffers from FPS(Fancy Play Syndrome). Than he could be playing ATC. However, even with that in my, I believe that would turn over a small to medium PP. I usually see this play with 55-99 as the villains' holding.

I can't believe that he is holding JJ+,AJ+ or KQ+. However, your hand is not too much stronger than his possible range. I would rule out SC,or gappers. So, in this instance I just muck the hand and make note of that play?

This is something that I always make note of is, "how is he playing whatever hands he is showing down?" His PAHUD stats may show 36/12, but is he a noob/donk just lagging it up and wants a fight with any holding, or is he an aggressive player who knows when to trap or get away from a hand?

Also, how does the table view you? What are your stats? If your stats are 55/20 or some crazy number like that and you have been pushing people off of pot after pot, than he sees YOUR holding as a crap hand and is taking a stand against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

My stats are around 22/9. He has been very aggressive postflop in a couple of hands that I have noticed, but thats about all else I have to go on.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personaly, I do not normaly do this with AT in the BB if deep. But it also depends on villains. If Button will raise anything half decent then things may be different. What will the small blind do with AJ is also something Iīd like to know. Are they weak-tight or are they strong-loose-agressive and so on.

If stacks are short, plus villainsī play is such that I can be pretty sure that I have the best hand, ok, I go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I outlined in the OP the button is short and has been lag (36/12) so limp from the button seems like a weak play. I agree if we're deep a PF raise OOP is counter-productive, but with the stacks as they are, I cant see anything wrong with it.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:17 AM

What about small blind? Howīs his stack, how does he play? Does he have any two here or is it something like a hand, will he give up often or is he the kind of guy who canīt fold because heīs been paying 5c? How is the quality of his flop play?

Are we trying to win the pot as is now, or are we up to play for Small Blinds 150BB stack with our 150BB stack when we raise our ATo?

I donīt say there is anything wrong with your inital raising. I might also give up a marginaly +EV situation by not raising AT when deep, I donīt know.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, I will say that is good advice and I don't know why I didn't include that in my analysis? Stacks are an important consideration.

As for him being aggressive, I think that you now have to make a decision. Do you want to play a hand against a player who may want to challenge you and see if he can outplay you postflop? I am not sure if I wish to go into battle with a weak holding as ATo from the BB?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 AM

I fold this because i think there are better spots against this villain than putting in 1/3 of your stack (or pushing) pf with a marginal hand. I assume you're all at least 100bb deep.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:48 AM

Players in micro-limits are extremely passive with their 3-bets and I put villain on QQ+, AK. Definite fold here.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:53 AM

fold. these donkeys who limp the button the shove almost always show up with a good hand. his range likely crushes yours. you might see some medium pairs but his range is usually ak aq ajs and all the big pairs. just a bad spot.

raising pf is fine though because you'll see them just call the raise with worse hands. you're raising for value. when he shoves, that defines his hand into a much stronger raise because i see the donks that limp/shove show up with great hands usually.