Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: how big a scumbag is my friend? you decide

wow same thing happened to me lately, but in chess. Friend and I are playing and i know i can't win the position, because he's crushing me, and i offer 20 bucks that i will not lose (draw or win, even thou i know i cant win). He takes it, i make a draw, then he says he doesn't owe me cuz i had to win the game to win 20 bucks. such [censored]

your situation is similar, ur friend is a dirtbag. Also, 2 dollar bets, wtf??
Old 08-13-2007, 01:29 PM

I've played golf my whole life including both days this past weekend. We always gamble and play an array of prop bets or games throughout the round.

I've never heard of something like this before. What a gay angle shoot. In my circle it would have been implied that the other guy was getting the flip side of the bet and that a tie...is a tie. Fine, he cleverly worded it so that technically he won. Whatever, if he's going to be a nit I give him $2 and never gamble with him again, and let everyone know what a douchebag he is.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are all wrong. It's a total angleshoot and he's a scumbag for collecting. If he really thought that he would win on a tie, HE should clarify since its obvious the other parties did not think this is what the bet meant. This is the only right answer, I can't believe so many of your got it wrong. There should be no hustling of friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner. This is a $2 bet among friends where from the post it seems that ties are deemed to be pushed. If he wants to stand on the fact that he is literally correct, then I would give him the $2 and tell him that I will never accept a wager from him again. Life's too short to have to be around "friends" who are angle shooting you.

These people are not high stakes gamblers ... they are weekend golfing buddies.

NCAces
Old 08-13-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys are really out there hustling your friends like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean holding friends accountable for what they say? Yep.

I don't see this as a hustle at all. Maybe friend 1 will learn a lesson and think through a proposition before he makes one. $2 is pretty cheap to learn that lesson.

What's even more telling is the overreaction over a $2 bet.

b
Old 08-13-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you guys are really out there hustling your friends like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean holding friends accountable for what they say? Yep.

I don't see this as a hustle at all. Maybe friend 1 will learn a lesson and think through a proposition before he makes one. $2 is pretty cheap to learn that lesson.

What's even more telling is the overreaction over a $2 bet.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

If you and your friends try to angle shoot each other in prop bets all the time, more power to you. It doesn't sound like OP and his friends do that (until now). You can't apply your rules to their situation. I agree ... pay the $2, but unless they want to always have to figure out the angles, then I wouldn't wager with him again. Perhaps he will learn his lesson.

NCAces
Old 08-13-2007, 02:20 PM

oh i prob forgot to mention this earlier, but my friend did pay the 2 bucks. He was annoyed that his friend he has known all his life hustled him for 2 dollars. but he did pay
Old 08-13-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh i prob forgot to mention this earlier, but my friend did pay the 2 bucks. He was annoyed that his friend he has known all his life hustled him for 2 dollars. but he did pay

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think "hustle" is the appropriate word. I think he went into the bet thinking a tie would win him the bet (which is technically correct), and was naturally upset to not get paid on a bet he won. He's not a "scumbag"; this was just a misunderstanding.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow same thing happened to me lately, but in chess. Friend and I are playing and i know i can't win the position, because he's crushing me, and i offer 20 bucks that i will not lose (draw or win, even thou i know i cant win). He takes it, i make a draw, then he says he doesn't owe me cuz i had to win the game to win 20 bucks. such [censored]

your situation is similar, ur friend is a dirtbag. Also, 2 dollar bets, wtf??

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't similar at all. This is actually the exact opposite. You said you wouldn't lose. You didn't lose, therefore you won the bet. In the OP's case the friend said the OP wouldn't win, the OP didn't win therefore the friend won the bet. In reality you should be siding with the friend who was in the same situation as you.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this word... i do not think it means what you think it means
Old 08-13-2007, 04:01 PM

omg -- a tie is a push.
nobody owes anyone anything.
on my scale of scumbags, i'd hardly even call him a
scumbag; just a jerk who values his friends' good
opinion less than $2.