Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM

Default $8/16 JTs SB

This hand might look pretty standard. But still i'm not sure about some things.

I have JTs.
Villain seems to be TAG.

1.) Preflop: 3-bet ?
I think he is little ahead preflop. Nevertheless, if i 3-bet preflop it is likely that this Villain will fold on flop without any hit.

2.) Raise turn ?
I was not sure about this question. If i raise i think he will only call/cap with a better hand. So the question is to take the pot right here or to try to get another bet on the river (or get beated with an overcard).

3.) River play
I think he will bet any PP, AJ, KJ, QJ, JT, J9, J8s, but check with every other hand.
So is the donk bet fine here or shall i go for c/r ?

Many thanks.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: $8/16 JTs SB

3-bet pf because you want to take the initiative as well as get out the BB and play the pot HU. The only time to cold call is if the BB plays horribly postflop and having him in the hand is +EV.

don't expect people to fold very often on the flop whether they hit or not. it just doesn't happen that often.

That being said as played I would probably c/r the turn. But since you c/c'd the turn I would also bet the river (as you did) since you really don't want to allow the villain to check behind, and you can't call a 3-bet if you c/r.

so basically i think you need to put in more aggression pf, and on the turn. but the river was played well.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: $8/16 JTs SB

I would 3-bet preflop but many people would call.

Don't make loose flop calls like this when you aren't closing the action. Not only are you risking a checkraise, but you are also paying to prolong a hand where you have both the worst absolute position and bad relative position.

Checkraise the turn. It's hard for Villain to give you any credit on this board and he will call down or at least see the river with many worse hands.