Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 PM

Default **Atlanta Braves offseason thread

It looks like things are looking pretty good for the future of the Braves. They appearantly have a surplus of cash to spend on next year's team.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...sbiz_1115.html

With Teixeira and Hampton becoming free agents next year, they should have even more flexibility. How much would it cost to keep Teixeira off the market? I would guess around 7-8 years and 17-18 million per year. After losing Renteria and probably A.Jones, losing Teixeira seems horrible. the team obviously has the money to keep him around, the only question is if they will spend what it takes or continue to lowball their players.

Will Tom Glavine accept the Braves offer? It seems like the ideal situation for him form a personal perspective. I'm very excited about the possibility of getting him back in the rotation, if the offense performs nearly as well as they did last year he should be good for 15+ wins. Is he worth 8-10 million at his advanced age?

What realistic CF options are there? I guess Andruw returning and Hunter/Rowand are not going to happen, are there any solid CF's on the market that the Braves can trade for or sign? DO they need a great defensive player or another bat for the middle of the line-up?

Will Escobar be able to fill Renteria's shoes? He looked great in limited playing time last year, if he can play at that level this year does he hit at the top of the order or is Kelly Johnson locked into the leadoff spot? Would Matt Diaz be better suited hitting 2nd, or 5th or 6th in the line-up?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: **Atlanta Braves offseason thread

The Braves are trying to sign Mike Lowell:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...Lowell?urn=mlb,53841

This is very interesting. What happens with Chipper? I figure he would move back to left field if this deal is done. Francouer to center and Diaz in right. Very nice outfield.

Glavine as the #3 starter would shore up the rotation nicely. He'll give then 200+ innings which will be a huge relief for the bullpen. If Hampton comes back healthy that's going to be a hell of a rotation.

They will lose Dotel but he's a walking timebomb of injuries, so good riddance. Soriano will be fine as the closer.

Even without Lowell the infield is very good with Escobar, Johnson, Jones, and Tex. Brian McCann is one of the top catchers in the league.

With the payroll increasing I definately see a return to the playoffs, if not the Division Championship again.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:06 PM

Glavine would be the #4 starter.

I guess I'm cool with signing Lowell, it'll just be so damn expensive. But I like the projected outfield; Chipper sucks but you improve the infield defense a ton.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Glavine would be the #4 starter.

I guess I'm cool with signing Lowell, it'll just be so damn expensive. But I like the projected outfield; Chipper sucks but you improve the infield defense a ton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah did you read where Chipper was whining about Wright winning the Gold Glove? Sheesh talk about sour grapes.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who dislikes Chipper. Smoltz had to literally call him out in public(media) before he would suck it up and play injured. Jones has never been a clubhouse leader and still isnt after all these years. He never takes any responsibility for the Braves playoff failures and always showers and leaves before facing the media after loses. Not leadership qualities. Very selfish.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:27 PM

Thankfully Dave O'Brien (Braves beat writer) squashed the Lowell rumors in his blog

It's buried down there in the comments.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thankfully Dave O'Brien (Braves beat writer) squashed the Lowell rumors in his blog

It's buried down there in the comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. Man I never read those comments cause half of the replies are idiotic. Especially when concerning race.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 PM

What's the story with Mike Gonzales?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:58 PM

If any of you actually believed the lowell rumors you obviously don't know alot about the braves front office. No chance in hell they were shelling out a huge deal with multiple years for an older 3B which would force them to move CHIPPER!! of all people. Never had a freaking chance
Old 11-15-2007, 10:59 PM

I heard a rumor the Braves will offer Andruw Jones arbitration and he will accept. They don't want to lock up a CF long term because they don't want to block Jordan Schafer. There's no downside here for Atlanta. If Jones accepts, they get him on a one year deal. If he declines, they get a draft pick.

Escobar is good defensively, so even if he doesn't hit as well as last year, he'll be alright. Brett Lillibridge is a backup with a ton of upside. He'll probably be the effective backup for Chipper, Escobar, and Johnson, and possibly CF as well, even if he starts the year in AAA.

If the Braves don't get a veteran CF, Brandon Jones and Gregor Blanco are major league ready which gives them some options until Schafer is ready.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 PM

Am I in the camp that doesn't want Jones back even with arbitration.