Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 PM

Default 6th Place in the NFC Cluster[censored]

I'm assuming that the Cowboys, Seahawks, Packers, Bucs and Giants all make the playoffs. I'm also assuming this will get bumped mercilessly when one of those teams chokes, but w/e.

The following teams are 5-6 or 6-5
Philly, Washington, Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago, New Orleans, Arizona.

Philly plays (5-6)
SEA, NYG, @DAL, @NO, BUF

Washington plays (5-6)
BUF, CHI, @NYG, @MIN, DAL

DET plays (6-5)
@MIN, DAL, @SD, KC, @GB

MIN plays (5-6)
DET, @SF, CHI, WAS, @DEN

CHI plays (5-6)
NYG, @WAS, @MIN, GB, NO

NO plays (5-6)
TB, @ATL, ARI, PHI, @CHI

ARI plays (5-6)
CLE,@SEA, @NO, ATL, STL

In order of most likely to least likely to get the spot I think it goes something like this
MIN, NO, PHI, WAS, DET, CHI, ARI

Minny has the easiest schedule and a lot of that schedule is against teams they are competing with. They are playing a bunch of bad QBs and Lesley Frazier's new blitz scheme has caused a of trouble for mediocre QBs Eli Manning Phillip Rivers. Nobody can run the ball on them and with the resurrection coming soon TJax just needs to be replacement level for them to make the playoffs.

New Orleans started slow and is looking more like last year's team, but still worse. They have a relatively easy schedule ahead and they play 4 teams that are in the wildcard hunt. There pass defense is horrendous, but fortunately they get to play some mediocre QBs, especially if Gradowski starts next week for TB.

The main thing preventing Philly from making the playoffs is there schedule they have the hardest schedule of any team in the playoff hunt right now and there QB situation is up in the air, which could be a good thing if AJ Feeley’s performace Sunday has any sort of predicative value, also Brian Westbrook is very injury prone and an injury to him, would crush there playoff chances.

Washington I don't want to touch with a 12 foot pole.

Detroit isn't a good football team they have been very lucky and played a lot of bad teams they have a one game advantage, but in a seven team race that starts meaning a lot less. They can’t run the ball or protect their QB, the only way they make the playoffs is if Calvin Johnson literally becomes Megatron.

Chicago they are very lucky to even be in this race right now it took Devin Hester playing out of his mind and Griese and Grossman constructing last minute drives to get them at 5-6. Their offense is horrible and their defense is a shell of it’s former self and it looks like teams are going to finally stop kicking to Devin Hester, so unless they put Brad Maynard at QB I can’t see them making the playoffs.

Arizona has lost two games to SF they will not make the playoffs.

================

EDIT: subject line. Arizona sucks, hard to argue with you there.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Re: 6th Place in the NFC Clusterfuck

Pudge714,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this all out. You make sports much more enjoyable for the casual fan. I have to be honest though and say that I'm disappointed in your lack of analysis of Washington. Is that due to the Sean Taylor situation or simply because they're such an up and down team? As for me, if you stuck a gun to my head and made me choose I'd probably go with Detroit because of their one game lead and because theres a good chance that Green Bay could have nothing to play for in that last game. Thanks again for this thread.

Love,
Assani
Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 PM

Assani,
It's because of Sean Taylor, this might be the homer in me, but I think a complete free for all is much more likely than bonding together and running the table. If he survived and missed the rest of the year it would probably be similar, except they might leap Philly they still have a pretty tough schedule although they could get lucky if Dallas rests there players.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:11 PM

pudge,

agree completely, i like minny and the aints. i would say it's one of those two probably three times out of four.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 PM

I hope Chicago and the Saints are fighting for the last spot b/c they are playing each other in week 17. It would be like an early start to the playoffs.

I think it'll be Arizona (easy sched) and the Saints (best of this pathetic lot imo) getting in though.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 PM

I think the cowboys and Packers are making the playoffs. I dunno, just a random gut feeling I have.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:20 PM

GR,
CLE, @SEA and @NO are all games where Arizona will be in underdogs.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:24 PM

MN is going to get it
Old 11-28-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pudge,

agree completely, i like minny and the aints. i would say it's one of those two probably three times out of four.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 out of 4? 11 games have gone by and these teams are all pretty deadlocked and you think in 5 games 2 of them will distinguish themselves from the rest (AND gain a game on Detroit)? I mean, I agree it's Min>NO>rest, but not to that extent.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Arizona has lost two games to SF they will not make the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they beat Seattle and Pittsburgh. Unless there's a new rule that says anyone who loses to SF twice can't make the playoffs, something I would support 100%