Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Capping QQ in a 5bet max structure? not a simple...ALWAYS!

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I feel that's a dumb rule... you should be able to have the cap enforced if the street started with 3 players, but whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I feel this is a stupid complaint. It's a highly theoretical situation that comes up less than once every 100000 hands. But whatever.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you really want the cap in place if you had quads vs nut boat, or straight flush over Ace high flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes true, but also I think that is probably neither here nor there. It would be similar to playing a short-stack NL strategy vs big-stack. We could imagine a limit game where there is no cap. This affects how we play. It may change the way we play thinner draws depending on the aggression of our opponents (i.e. the rammer/jammer game).
Old 10-29-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would you really want the cap in place if you had quads vs nut boat, or straight flush over Ace high flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes true, but also I think that is probably neither here nor there. It would be similar to playing a short-stack NL strategy vs big-stack. We could imagine a limit game where there is no cap. This affects how we play. It may change the way we play thinner draws depending on the aggression of our opponents (i.e. the rammer/jammer game).

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree w/ the bolded part. Any good limit player should want to have as many opportunities to take money from his/her opponent. Having no cap when HU is one of these opportunities. Having a cap when HU does not help a good limit player in any way I can see. 3+ handed, sure, but not HU.

SS v big stack NL is very different. Many, Many good NL players despise SS strategy for several reasons, and there are obviously many good short-stackers that play horrible deep. Short-stacking essentially puts a cap on yourself, but the reasoning is totally different. When short-stacking NL, you are making your decisions far easier because of such a shallow commitment threshold, while greatly reducing your opponents options as well (not to mention their implied odds). This strategy is an attempt to make your play unexploitable. This is why short-stacking NL(correctly) is a very valid option for players new to poker. This logic only goes that direction though because you can not say/assume that because a player is short-stacking, they must be horrible at poker... just look at Curtains.