Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 10:48 PM

Default how do u guys play this tp weak kicker 3 way

this comes up quite a bit you flop top or 2nd pair in bb in unraised pot . check and see or bet out?
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t2625)
SB (t16125)
Hero (t12240)
UTG (t9225)
UTG+1 (t10150)
MP1 (t8100)
MP2 (t19229)
MP3 (t14655)
CO (t5400)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t300, MP2 calls t300, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t1100) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero [
Old 11-20-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Re: how do u guys play this tp weak kicker 3 way

Check, call.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 PM

Old 11-20-2007, 11:08 PM

Depends on flop texture; on this particular flop I think a lead gets called and you get outmanuevered after the flop too much. So I play really passively and don't mind folding to any real heat.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:31 PM

The fact that the TP is a J in this hand makes it tricky.

For example, if we had an A high flop and you had A4, the choice would clearly be to check. You have a much lower fear of a card coming on the turn that makes your hand no longer best. Additionally, you can now get value when you bet the turn if the turn card paired one of the villains and it check around.

If the TP were an 8 on a 825 flop, and you held 87, I think the clear choice would be to bet. Way too many cards can come on the turn that hurt you against two opponents.

However, wtih a J or a T, we have a tough decision to make. In this specific case I prefer a check and see what happens behind me. You would be surprised at the number of times people get very excited behind you (i.e. a bet and a raise) and you get away with an easy fold. If there is a bet and call, I don't think a fold is unreasonable either.

The biggest concern with checking is that you will check and everyone will check behind and the turn will bring a bad card like an A. The A is very bad b/c even if you still have the best hand, you are not likely to get any callers now, and obviously it is less likely that you still have the best hand. However, these cases are likely compensated by the times when the turn card is a blank (i.e. 2) and you can lead the turn. You will surely get called by a T or a draw. You might even get called by a bare 6.

Sherman
Old 11-20-2007, 11:41 PM

I usually lead this for about 2/3 or more of the pot and if just flat called with no scare card on turn I double barrell.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:47 PM

sherman excellent analysis. i checked bc of the 10 more than the jack. there is the possibility of a draw raise that i cant call. even a good 10 can raise and i can't call.next guy bet 300 and there was a call. my gut said "on this board im betting more than 300 w tp to protect these guys are weak". so i got agressive and raised to 1.6k playing it as the best hand. they both folded.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 PM

2/3rds.... c/c turn, c and call if KQ doesnt get there