Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2006, 02:37 AM

Default Bad Beat Index

After a terrible run, I started keeping data of my all in PF bets. I've compiled data in this format:
Hand:XXx VS XXs X% W/L/T

For example:
AKc 67s 60% L
QJo A2o 44% L

I only take data when I'm all in preflop and the hand winds up 2 handed. So, I raise with AA, and I get 1 caller. Flop comes 2 6 K, and lose to a set of 6's, data is NOT included, since I wasnt all in preflop.

Maybe I should have had a plan before I did this, but what do I do with all this info? Does anyone see a flaw in my data collection, for instance should I keep track if im the raiser or caller?

At the end of it all, i'd like to have an index number, such as -7.45 which means I was running poorly, or +12.38, and I was running well, and dont get cocky.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Bad Beat Index

[ QUOTE ]
After a terrible run, I started keeping data of my all in PF bets. I've compiled data in this format:
Hand:XXx VS XXs X% W/L/T

For example:
AKc 67s 60% L
QJo A2o 44% L

I only take data when I'm all in preflop and the hand winds up 2 handed. So, I raise with AA, and I get 1 caller. Flop comes 2 6 K, and lose to a set of 6's, data is NOT included, since I wasnt all in preflop.

Maybe I should have had a plan before I did this, but what do I do with all this info? Does anyone see a flaw in my data collection, for instance should I keep track if im the raiser or caller?

At the end of it all, i'd like to have an index number, such as -7.45 which means I was running poorly, or +12.38, and I was running well, and dont get cocky.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all worthless data that will keep you from truly understanding if you're playing well. Most times around the bubble, you will HAVE to have the worst hand when you get called. Whether you win or lose that hand is totally irrelevant to how well you played it. Also, knowing if you're running good or running bad is more likely to affect your play in a negative way than a positive way. Just keep making good decisions and count your money at the end of the year.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:48 AM

You should spend energy on something that will make you money instead
Old 02-14-2006, 02:53 AM

What you should really do is only keep track of the ones where you lose. Then you can publish that list online and say "take a look at all the bad beats i've had". Then, after you do that, there still won't be anyone who cares.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:03 AM

the thing you want to play attention to is did he call with the range you expected. so (and the numbers are wag's) you have Q10o on the button and figure your push will only get called by the top 15% of hands. You push, get called. The only thing that matters is was his hand in that range? if not, adjust, if yes, the rest is irrellevent
Old 02-14-2006, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the thing you want to play attention to is did he call with the range you expected. so (and the numbers are wag's) you have Q10o on the button and figure your push will only get called by the top 15% of hands. You push, get called. The only thing that matters is was his hand in that range? if not, adjust, if yes, the rest is irrellevent

[/ QUOTE ]

That's at least a million times better than my advice. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2006, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're fancy you can try to take a stab at "are the hands disprortionately in the top of the range?" that will tell you if your ranges are too wide.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:44 AM

i have a hard enough time remembering who calls looser than expected. of course, my memory is like a sieve with large holes....
Old 02-14-2006, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If one post could define a person, Lacky you would be pretty much the best guy on the planet. What an unbelievable response to this thread.

NH
Old 02-14-2006, 07:42 AM

There are two (2) problems with the concept of collecting data to prove that I am the most unlucky poker player that ever lived:

1.) It won't change anything
2.) I will continue to play anyway
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]