Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Wednesday Night Trip Report: Trop AC

Since the fiancé does PR for the Horizon Blimp, which flies out of AC on a regular basis, this past Wednesday was the first of many day-trips to AC I’ll be making this summer. I’ve never put together a trip report before, so please be kind on the responses. ***Cliffs notes at the bottom***

I leave the office at 4:30 (3+ hours early for a loan officer working on paying for a wedding and staying current on the mortgage [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) and hit the GS Parkway (just 9 miles down the road) at 5:18. The heavy rains are now beginning to come down and there are already multiple accidents on Rte 3E, and in the Newark area of the GS Parkway. The Pink Chip game at the Trop can’t feel any further away right now, and my road rage is already beginning. The rains become heavier, and 1 hour into the trip, I’m only a good 19 miles away from my office in Fairfield, NJ. I settle myself a few times after some calming phone calls to the fiancé, sitting in the same traffic I’m in, and the remainder of the 3 and a half hour trip is spent without any hiccups; just stop and go traffic.

I arrive at the Trop at about 8pm and rush from the Havana Tower Parking Garage to the poker room, ready to mix it up in the Pink Chip Game. I’ve already been on the road an hour and a half longer than I wanted, and until the fiancé gets here, the only thing that’s going to keep me entertained is some mid-week, low-ish limit pokering. To my dismay, the biggest LHE game they have going is a single 4/8 table w/ an average pot size of $18 or so. Since the fiancé is about an hour behind me in traffic, I decide to jump into the (only) 2/5 game while I wait for her. If anyone here has played 2/5 at the Trop, I’m sure they’ll agree that the game plays pretty soft (mostly loose/passive geniuses that prefer a bigger game than the 1/2NL that the Trop spreads).

I buy $410 in chips and enter the game in the 6 seat. In the 1 seat is your typical 1/2NL “pro” taking a mid-week shot at 2/5 to see what kind of progress he’s made. He’s sitting on $300 or so, and rumor has it he’s 9 hours into the session. The 2 seat is occupied by a typical Trop 2/5 player, sitting on about $600 something in chips after supposedly going south for a couple hundred dollars after winning an $800 pot earlier in the day. Rufus, a Tropicana regular, is barely maintaining consciousness after losing his 3rd straight $100 buyin. Rufus is keeping the table entertained every time the player in the 4 seat needs to wake him up when it’s his action. Normally most players would complain, but considering how generous he’s been to everyone at the table, no complaints have been made. The rest of the table is a mixture of a couple Asian gamblers, a couple rich calling stations (normal home gamers who will call you down with 3rd pair, only to say “I thought you had it, I just had to see it”), and a guy in the 8 seat who lost the $800 pot to the 2 seat with a lower full house to a higher full house. One of the first things he said aloud when I got to the table was “it’s just not my night tonight,” and was he ever right.

About 2 orbits in the game, I’m realizing as good as this game should be, there’s very little postflop action. I pick up QQ in the CO and after a $20 raise from MP and a call from the guy to my right, I make it $70 and pickup the dead money on the table. A couple PF raises followed by continuation bets allow my stack to increase to about $500 or so when my next big hand comes.

I’m in the SB w/ 2 red Aces, and the tough luck 8 seat raises to $25 UTG. A MP player calls the $25, and I raise to $90, so as to not fool around w/ my big hand. Before the hand begins, the 8 seat has about $450 in front of him, so he 4- bets me to $190 (leaving himself w/ $250 or so). MP hitchhiker folds, and I calmly announce that I’m All-In. 8 seat now tanks it and asks me, “you have Aces, don’t you.” Having only driven down w/ $600 in my pocket and not wanting to dip into the ATM, I was more than glad to tell him the truth. “Yes, I do have 2 red Aces,” I tell him. “I’ll show you if you wish.” He asks to see them, and I ask the dealer if this will kill my hand even though we’re heads up (don’t want to fall for an angle shoot of any kind since I’m feeling iffy about being sucked out on as most leisure players on short BRs sometimes feel). I show him the AA, and he still thinks hard about mucking his KK, but hesitantly throws it in. 1/2NL wannabe pro pays the dealer $5 to show him and his friend in the 10 seat the flop, which revealed a K, only adding to the frustration of the 8 seat for the night.

The last noteworthy hand of the night occurs when I’m the 4th player to call a $20 PF raise from the 1/2NL “pro” on the button w/ 3d5d. The blinds fold, and a flop of 8h3h10h is lead out by the PF raiser for $30 (this pot is $102 after the rake). Folded to me and I make it $95 to go (literally stabbing in the dark at a pot that this pot with no business doing so), and it’s insta-folded. Amazing.

It’s at this point that my fiancé shows up and says she’s going to go play 2/4. A couple orbits later, I rack up $700 in chips and join my fiancé at the 2/4 table. One thing I hate about joining my fiancé at the 2/4 table after playing a bigger game at the Trop is how the dealers try and make a big deal over the difference in games I have decided to play for the night. Now, since my fiancé and I go to Trop somewhat regularly, we know most of the dealers pretty well and they are extremely pleasant to us, but announcing to a 2/4 table that we often play $7.50/$15 or that I play 2/5NL doesn’t make for a friendly game, which we like to look for when playing some 2/4 before bed. After hitting some draws and making some timely bets against the 2/4 n00bs, my fiancé and I decide to hit up Hooters before bed.

Thursday morning comes, and since the fiancé wants to stay in the hotel for breakfast so she can shower and change for work quickly, the Borgata breakfast buffet is out of the question. As a result, we waste $40+ on a stale omelete, dry pancakes, and near outdated milk. It is what it is, and at 8:30, I barely have it in me to complain. The fiancé goes back to the room to get ready for work and I drive home, +$250 after dinner and the breakfast buffet, and enjoy the rest of the week

***CLIFFS NOTES***
Drive to AC takes twice as long as it should b/c of a nasty storm
No Pink Chip Game going on a Wednesday night
I run well in one of the most passive 2/5 games I’ve ever played in
Trop breakfast buffet is horrendous, but I have no energy (or guts for that matter) to complain
Old 07-15-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Wednesday Night Trip Report: Trop AC

I can't believe you told him you have aces.
I can't believe you showed him you had aces.
I can't believe you did it WHILE HE WAS STILL IN THE HAND!

you hate money?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:35 PM

meh, as i said, i basically play for leisure, and on the off chance that my opponent sucked out (which he would have, and yes, i'm being results oriented), i did not want to take out another $500 out of the ATM. i was prepared to play the Pink Chip game and not get involved in a $900 pot.

again, it worked out since the opponent would have won the hand.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

***CLIFFS NOTES***
Drive to AC takes twice as long as it should b/c of a nasty storm
No Pink Chip Game going on a Wednesday night
I 5-bet allin preflop and show my opponent AA, inducing him to fold KK because I hate money in one of the most passive 2/5 games I’ve ever played in
Trop breakfast buffet is horrendous, but I can't complain cuz I gave away about $100 in equity which could have paid for something better

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-15-2007, 09:59 PM

I am going to leave the AA showing part aside now, since I've said my peace about how that is crazy and PLEASE DON'T DO THAT AGAIN, it makes me cry...

Ewww, you ordered Trop room service? Their breakfast buffets sucks ass, I can't even imagine how bad their room service would be. I would have just gone to Hooters for breakfast if that was possible. If not, there's a Dunkin donuts nearby.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ewww, you ordered Trop room service? Their breakfast buffets sucks ass, I can't even imagine how bad their room service would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

did not get room service. ate the terrible breakfast buffet, though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

after reading some other posts about Trop downsizing and losing business, i may end up at Showboat more in the future.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
meh, as i said, i basically play for leisure, and on the off chance that my opponent sucked out (which he would have, and yes, i'm being results oriented), i did not want to take out another $500 out of the ATM. i was prepared to play the Pink Chip game and not get involved in a $900 pot.

again, it worked out since the opponent would have won the hand.

[/ QUOTE ] Nice report Matty.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:04 PM

You should have gone to the Ri-ra, pretty damn good breakfast. Definitely better than their buffet.

Edit: I'm looking at their menu and don't see breakfast. I could have sworn I had eaten an Irish Breakfast there last year. Strange.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the AA showing part...makes me cry...

[/ QUOTE ]
That gave me a wierd feeling in my stomach. Something like I imagine it would feel like to take some paper money and rip it in half.

Queery: Is it legal to offer to show another player your hand if he pays you something?

Good trip report.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:16 PM

Good trip report.

Country Kitchen, right near the Trop on the boardwalk, is the win for breakfast.