Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 01:44 AM

Default 25 NL Overpair deep HU

Got myself into several awful spots tonight and this one capped a downright horrible session. Was my call pure tilt?
Not many hands with this villain, except that I had paid him off when he overbet his rivered 2 pair and it looked to me like a busted draw.

World Poker Exchange, $25 NL, 6 handed

Hero is Button (SB) with ~$47
Villain is BB with ~$40

Hero is dealt [K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

Preflop:
Hero raises to $1, Villain calls.

Flop ($2):
[T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

Villain checks, Hero bets $1.50, Villain raises to $3.75, Hero calls.

(I figured I would trap the guy and let him bet the turn, proceed with impunity assuming a non-diamond.)

Turn ($9.50):
[Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

Villain bets $6, Hero raises to $12, Villain pushes all-in for ~$30, Hero calls.

Thoughts on all streets, please. I need to stop playing tired...
Old 09-19-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: 25 NL Overpair deep HU

I could see an argument for 3-betting the flop, some reads would help but my standard line would be to call as well.

On the turn you should just call, J9/QT got there and you can see a lot of sets.

Failing to just call I would fold to his 3-bet, you're toast here almost always.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:55 AM

Against unknown, or just few hands, I 3bet flop for value and almost certainly felt it now. That c/r doesn't mean too much. His range should still be very wide. As played, that's not a good turn card. You should be calling here IMO. Lots of hands made two pair, straight. Once you raise though I don't see how you can really fold either.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 AM

You need to have like 27% equity against his range to call, so he has to have a fair amount of combo-draws to make this a bare breakeven call.

Given the action on the flop, with the small raise and the turn bet/shove, I think its 44 or 88 often. I think I can find a fold against a tight villain, but its close.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:54 AM

Results:
Villain flipped [Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]], river bricked, and Villain took most of my money and insta-left.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:17 PM

Some things to consider:
He called you from out of position, which narrows his range... then he check/raises almost MIN on a flop like that?
what possible hand can he have thats beating you?
TT (maybe, he might have raised pf), 88, 44, A8dd, A4dd
I choose one of 2 lines here depending on my opponents style
1. raise to about 10 on the flop, hoping to get value against AT, KT with a call-y opponent, while chasing dd draws away
2. I call, call, call against a bluff-y opponent... this is my prefered line, as his c/r indicates that he is either bluffing, or overvalues his hand.
Rarely, however, he will have you beat, which is why I wouldn't go crazy with one pair on the turn. min-raising is bad, it serves little purpose. Draws have odds to call it, worse pairs can find a fold where they normally might check/call a river value bet by you...
the MAIN reason I wouldn't minraise the turn though is that I would have no clue what to do if he pushed.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 PM

getting it on flop, always.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:16 PM

By raising the turn, you are allowing him to play the hand perfectly. A flop check raise is most likely a bluff, for value, or an information raise. We profit when he continues to bluff the turn/river or value bet a worse hand. Raising the turn allows him to know exactly where he stands, fold worse hands, and stop him from bluffing the river. Just call the turn next time.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:45 PM

Re-raise flop.As played i dunno , i probably call seriously but i dont know vilain.Its so difficult to judge a heads up hand.

J9 is there , every set , combos draws ect , two pairs ( like QT what he had )

hmmm the more i think about it the more i just fold cuz i think ur behind his range.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Results:
Villain flipped [Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]], river bricked, and Villain took most of my money and insta-left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you try and climb into the computer to grab him by the [censored] neck and pull him back to the table?! hate it when they hit and run.