Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion thread (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]

Also on people dying what about Lupin, Tonks, and Mad-Eye besides Fred, Dobby, and Hedwig.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lupin and Tonks dying off-screen sort of annoyed me.

We never really saw a body for Mad-Eye, just his eye, right? The beggar with the bloody bandage over his eye who Harry sees before going into Gringott's struck me as an intended red herring to make us think that Moody might not really be dead.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Lupin and Tonks dying off-screen sort of annoyed me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand this feeling.

But, it's a realistic portrayal of war. Since the story is seen from Harry's perspective (except a few chapters in the whole series), it would be unrealistic for us to see the deaths of everyone. With so many people dying, it should be expected that Harry will occassionally just hear about the deaths of people he cares about. And, when he learns of Lupin's and Tonk's death, he doesn't have time to stand over them and mourn. He still had work to do in the fight.

The death that really annoyed me was Hedwig's. I was completely unprepared for it and it didn't drive the plot in any way. It was just a pointless death in a war. So, in that strange way, it drove home how nearly any character could die at almost any time.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also I thought Neville should have gotten Bellatrix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I definitely thought he should have too. It was queer that Mrs. Weasley called her a bitch in all capitals nonetheless. I really enjoyed the book though, read it in 6 hours straight, couldn't get away from it. I felt the middle dragged on a bit, but it really did show the complications in life and such that Harry and the others were going through. And foreal Hermoine naked please.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:02 AM

Just finished it. I loved it. I liked the epilogue too. It gives some sort of closure and peace, and I just really like the whole love/friendship/loyalty thing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Now I have that familiar empty feeling again, that I had after finishing the previous books too. Like I just came back from an awesome vacation with a lot of friends, and now I'm here alone in an empty house.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just finished it. I loved it. I liked the epilogue too. It gives some sort of closure and peace, and I just really like the whole love/friendship/loyalty thing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thoughts.

Although, i will admit to crying in 3 different parts of the book (lol, I'm a femme, hello!)... 1) Obv, Hedwig , 2) The memory of Harry's parents last moments. 3) When Dobby died. I loved Dobby
Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 AM

Overall I really enjoyed this. I kinda blasted through it so that it was safe to read the internet again, and will be re-reading it this week.

Random thoughts:

1- I really marked out when everybody started showing up in the RoR for the final battle and the general rallying of the troops in Hogwarts. Can't wait to see this in the movie.

2- I thought there was some real genius in who died and how. As somebody mentioned in another thread, it made the war feel real to have people other than "yellow shirts" die. Doing it "off-screen" was just more effective.

3- I don't really feel like she did enough with Snape to earn "kid's middle name" status back from all the bad stuff he did. I also thought that this plotline was the most cliche.

4- I thought the Ron/Hermoine relationship was really well done. I thought Harry and Ginny was pretty much not. I don't really feel like (throughout the whole series) we saw enough reasons for Harry to be so ga-ga.

5- The concept of the Hallows themselves was a little tired. Too much of the series felt like the slightly played out video game concept of running around searching for objects. I'm not really sure how much they added to the book given all the other drama.

6- The epilog was nice in parts, but I wish had touched up more on other characters. I wanna know how George is doing w/o Fred?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also I thought Neville should have gotten Bellatrix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I definitely thought he should have too. It was queer that Mrs. Weasley called her a bitch in all capitals nonetheless. I really enjoyed the book though, read it in 6 hours straight, couldn't get away from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has JK Rowling been hanging out with Stephen King? This definitely seemed like a Stephen King CAPITALIZATION. Bellatrix definitely seemed like Neville's but it looks like he got a promotion and was even more important.

[ QUOTE ]

The only important part conveyed by the epilogue is that Harry is living happily ever after.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I read the epilogue as being a really longwinded (and better) way of saying "And they lived happily ever after".
Old 07-23-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overall I really enjoyed this. I kinda blasted through it so that it was safe to read the internet again, and will be re-reading it this week.

Random thoughts:

1- I really marked out when everybody started showing up in the RoR for the final battle and the general rallying of the troops in Hogwarts. Can't wait to see this in the movie.

2- I thought there was some real genius in who died and how. As somebody mentioned in another thread, it made the war feel real to have people other than "yellow shirts" die. Doing it "off-screen" was just more effective.

3- I don't really feel like she did enough with Snape to earn "kid's middle name" status back from all the bad stuff he did. I also thought that this plotline was the most cliche.

4- I thought the Ron/Hermoine relationship was really well done. I thought Harry and Ginny was pretty much not. I don't really feel like (throughout the whole series) we saw enough reasons for Harry to be so ga-ga.

5- The concept of the Hallows themselves was a little tired. Too much of the series felt like the slightly played out video game concept of running around searching for objects. I'm not really sure how much they added to the book given all the other drama.

6- The epilog was nice in parts, but I wish had touched up more on other characters. I wanna know how George is doing w/o Fred?

[/ QUOTE ]

1.Truth. Everyother paragraph was "So-and-so is here? Awesome!"

3.The whole "Snape was always helping Harry for Lily" angle was probably enough.

5.To paraphrase Cracked.com "And Harry will have to find all of the Horcruxes in book 7, making this an RPG where you must find the "7 magical items" to break some "loosely explained barrier" to get into the "final dungeon" where in the end you're still a "total nerd".
Old 07-23-2007, 12:08 PM

Just finished it. Def the best in the series, imo.

Pros:
-Snape subplot. Yeah the 'Dumbledore asked him to him' bit was obvious, but all the pensive stuff was awesome.
-The middle of the book. Usually JKR fills this region of the book with stupid crap like Quiditch and House Elves' rights. The middles parts have always been bad, but instead of focusing on peripheries to create conflict in Harry's life, she sticks to the three main characters and the goal at hand.
-Harry walking to his 'death' and all his peeps talking with him. Prolly the most emotional part of the series.
-Dumbledore past. Shows he is flawed. Even put a twinge of doubt into the 'Dumbledore is always right' mantra that has emanated throughout the first 6.
- Neville got some good deserved limelight. He or his Grandma shoulda killed Bella imo.
- Both the house elves in the book kicked lots of ass.

Cons:
-Use Lupin and Tonks and actually get some mileage out of two interesting characters. I was very meh when they died, just bc all they collectively contributed to the story was a two paragraph argument with Harry.
-Epilogue coulda been done a lot better, as about everyone has commented.
-Letting the Malfoys off the hook was kinda gay.
-The climax in Ron and Hermione's relationship was kinda weak. I mean they had been working on it for like 4 books. I thought there woulda been a better place to fit it in. Harry and Cho's encounter was better done. Maybe just anything less than an NC-17 encounter involving Hermione leaves me with literary blue-balls. Damn you Emma Watson.

Overall, loved it and I find it said that all I have to look forward to now is two undoubtedly sub par movies to come.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

5.To paraphrase Cracked.com "And Harry will have to find all of the Horcruxes in book 7, making this an RPG where you must find the "7 magical items" to break some "loosely explained barrier" to get into the "final dungeon" where in the end you're still a "total nerd".

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really look to Harry Potter to redefine the genre. I thought the charm of JK Rowling was that she just does stuff that has been done before, but in a solid way and with cute and imaginative details. Plus, for the original target audience, all this stuff was new to them.

Then again, I probably wasn't as big of a fan of the series as most, so my expectations were kind of low.