Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Strange river c/r

I'm playing shorthanded 25 max omaha on FTP yesterday and this strange hand came up. I'm just wondering if there was another way to play it. A little background to the villain, my notes indicate hes pretty bad, we had a previous hand where he called two decent sized pot bets when I held a straight and he held K-K-K-3, giving him only an overpair.

I'm on the button with $75 and the villain is the BB with about 25. I raise $1 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the BB and a MP call me. The Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and its check around to me so I fire a continuation PSB and only the BB calls.

The turn is the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], giving me the queen high flush. He checks and I decide to check behind him to control the pot. I dont want to get check-raised by the higher flush on the turn and I want to possibly induce a bluff by a straight on the river.

The river is a blank and he checks to me. At this point I'm thinking he has a straight at best and possibly with his previous play nothing better than two pair. Based on my read I decide to make a small half sized pot value bet. I believe he is bad enough to call with a wide range of hands and that if he had the K high or Ace high flush he would of bet the river. This is where it gets strange, I bet about 1/2 the pot and he does a pot sized check raise. This is a really strange move, does he really check the ace high flush on the river to opponent who likely wont bet without a good flush?

I decide that this must be a bluff and pay him off only to have him show me the King high flush. Given what I know about the oppenent is there anyway I can jutify getting away from this hand on the river to the check/raise? Is there anyway I wouldnt value bet the Q high flush in this spot given his loose calling tendancies?
Old 06-18-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Strange river c/r

I will rephrase your post into a simple statement:

I made a decision based on a read and my read was wrong.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing shorthanded 25 max omaha on FTP

[/ QUOTE ]

No wonder there's complaints of collusion at FTP... Those 108 card decks must be confusing too.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 PM

Thanks for all the smart ass answers, big help.

To piiop: I know I made a play based on a read that turned out wrong, the question I want to put out there for discussion is whether I should of played it differently or if that was the best course of action given the information at the time.

to Doublestraddle: Are you trying to be funny?

thanks for the help guys
Old 06-18-2007, 09:04 PM

You played it fine until the call. Yes, you should value bet if you think you have the best hand, but his river CR announces that he has you beat.