Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Closing time $3 rebuy - flush draw on the flop, how to act?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50000 (7 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Think there are 21 players left.

Button (t679754)
Hero (t1013923)
BB (t1828730)
UTG (t1468302)
MP1 (t1160421)
MP2 (t544212)
CO (t912062)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t105000) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Turn: (t105000) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t400000</font>, Hero ???

Its not the question to fold or not fold here what Im wondering. Im curious about some advice playing this hand from the beginning. Was it better to bet on the flop or not bet on the turn and maybe call a bet if one was made against me?

Villain is a tight aggressive player who is not shy of a steal attempt now and then.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Closing time $3 rebuy - flush draw on the flop, how to act?

I think that you can bet the flop or check the flop and neither is a huge mistake considering he is tight aggressive though I might lean more towards betting the flop against a player who is tight in general (since I have quite a few outs as back up... this is preety heavely dependant on how aggressive he is though in his tight aggressive label... since thier is obv varying degrees...) sounds like this guy (from your not afraid of a steal attempt comment) is a little more aggresive... so I like the flop check... against this player I definatly dont bet the turn... and I certainly dont want to put in a nearly PSB... He could be stealing reading weakness on your overbet... or he could be value betting hands as good as a gutterball str8... the fact is you are behind every possible holding that the villian has in terms of the % and you have to fold to his 400K re-raise now on the turn... I think c/c the turn is your best bet here... despite being out of position and likely only being able to win the pot when a club falls on the river... I think you have atleast a slight chance at implied odds if you bet the river correctly when you do hit that flush...

Your other option is to just fold here and let the BB take this pot... In fact considering how late you are in this tourney I probably prefer a preflop bet to a limp here... but you have a marginal hand you will be forced to play out of position for a small pot... which isnt a very good recipe for +EV Soup (sorry I guess thats a mild attempt at a joke...) Anyways, I think letting it go preflop would be just fine here... certainly less of a headache against a player you read as aggressive post flop... and one with a deep stack who can take you out of the tourney...
Old 11-10-2007, 02:32 AM

b/3b AI on that turn...I like that line a lot better on the flop but the 7 chances you're hand alot there.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:31 AM

Umm this is a fold, shoving here with at most 12 outs with very little FE is pretty nuts. I don't like the limp PF either, although I do mix in a limp to steal on the flop sometimes. However, you obviously weren't doing that, so don't limp with 4 high OOP and 20 BBs, it's gross.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:14 AM

yeah id have bet out on flop but id have raised or folded preflop
Old 11-10-2007, 09:30 AM

You should be betting the flop. My plan on this flop would be lead something like 70k, and if i get raised 3 bet all in, since plenty of players will raise you here without realizing they can't call a shove with what they raised with.

Also, on the turn you need to fold. You don't often have fold equity when he 4X raises and puts a big chunk of effective stacks in and a call is not profitable.