Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Donkey Kick Over Past Bad Beats?

In my last 7 $4.00 SnGo's, I've busted out before Level 15/30 was over 4 times and the other 3 didn't make it to the break.

In the last tournament, I had AA on the Button and CO raised to 210 with blinds at 15/30. I just call.
Flop came K33; Turn K River 3

He played K5s.

So, when this tournament starts and I get KK with several callers to my 4x BB raise and the Flop comes coordinated with 2 diamonds.......well you be the Judge.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, UTG+1 calls t80, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t80, Button calls t80, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t350) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1420 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 calls t1420 (All-In), CO folds, Button calls t1420 (All-In).

Turn: (t4610) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

River: (t4610) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4610

Note: I did come in 12th in the 1:30 PM Hubble Tourney today. 10k players [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Donkey Kick Over Past Bad Beats?

+This is the Multi-table forum. Use the Single table forum for sit n goes

+congrats on the Hubble luckfest.

+ I don't like your overbet here. If you want to disuade draws make a 2/3 pot or maybe pot-sized bet. you want drawing players to stick around pay off your over pair.

+don't use results in previous hands to make decisions. the cards have no memory.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:50 AM

^^as above^^.

And FYI, betting 4xpot first to act with KK is not going to be a good play on any flop, against any number of opponents.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
+This is the Multi-table forum. Use the Single table forum for sit n goes

+congrats on the Hubble luckfest.

+ I don't like your overbet here. If you want to disuade draws make a 2/3 pot or maybe pot-sized bet. you want drawing players to stick around pay off your over pair.

+don't use results in previous hands to make decisions. the cards have no memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Aren't 180 Player Sit N Go's considered Multi-Table?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:03 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! Aren't 180 Player Sit N Go's considered Multi-Table?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. sorry I missed that. usually when posting about one of those we put $4/180 in the title.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:13 AM

Pushing this flop for fear of being outdrawn is just like calling a big raise preflop with 84o, because you've been flopping a lot of straights lateley with that hand. It's retarded.

Basically, the bet you should make on this flop, is the largest amount you believe weaker hands are likely to call. Usually, this is something like a pot sized bet. My preference would be t300.

In a $4 tournament pushing is actually +EV, because you'll often get called if one of the villains has a jack. Still, if you bet pot, and someone calls you with a draw, you are still making money. This will also set the pot size up niceley for a push on the turn.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing this flop for fear of being outdrawn is just like calling a big raise preflop with 84o, because you've been flopping a lot of straights lateley with that hand. It's retarded.

Basically, the bet you should make on this flop, is the largest amount you believe weaker hands are likely to call. Usually, this is something like a pot sized bet. My preference would be t300.

In a $4 tournament pushing is actually +EV, because you'll often get called if one of the villains has a jack. Still, if you bet pot, and someone calls you with a draw, you are still making money. This will also set the pot size up niceley for a push on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It was a really amateurish move on my part. I may be playing $4.00 tournaments, but, I'm trying to learn to play intelligently. I posted this as punishment to myself.

Luckily, they both had AJo and I tripled up.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Luckily, they both had AJo and I tripled up

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, lucky indeed!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:22 AM

There is a good chance that early in 4/180s especially a 5-6x BB raise is going to get called by half the table. I was at one the other day at the first level, with JJ I had four limpers in front of me, so I raise until about 250, and I had six callers. Needless to say I folded when the flop showed an A and a Q and someone in front of me raised the pot.