Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Is TAG ever not optimal?

Can someone tell me what a meow-chow is please? I've been accused of being a mediocre meow-chow tag. Wtf is a meow-chow tag?
Old 11-23-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless I've got TAGs in the blinds the range of hands I'll attempt to steal with isn't that big. When I've got tighter players in the blinds I'll happily steal with any two, run bluffs if I think they look genuine etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding this point, I think you should read Pokey's awesome post(s) about blind stealing. Stealing the blinds is very profitable, and I think you miss out on a lot of free money by only stealing blinds when you're up against noted TAGs. Granted you have to be prepared to cbet a lot, and double/triple barrel at times, but so much of the money I make is by stealing blinds or by raising, getting called, and then taking pots down with cbets.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you do realise that when they call your Cbets you often still have the best hand, don't you?

they don't hit the flop any more than you do. you just need to double barell more postflop and isolate more preflop.

sounds like you are a bit scared to play pots against these loons. the way to make money in this game is to get involved in alot of hands with bad players.

to make even more money do the above but with positon and initiative

[/ QUOTE ]

To paraphrase a great quote: I don't make money because I am awesome, I make money because everyone else sucks.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:08 AM

I think the most optimal way to play is to constantly change your image and stats depending on table/your image/etc
My usual multi tabling stats are often tagish around 19/14, but I play 1-2 table sessions where I focus on being very loose aggressive. I think this is good for a number of reasons such as;
1) helps my game as I get into different situations (people adjusting to my play, played back at more, etc)
2) people who have me as a tag take a long while to adjust (some multitablers sometimes dont even notice and continue to let me steal from them)
3) Its much easier to get paid off with big hands
etc etc...

I take it you multi table? Try just playing 1-2 tables of LAG and try adjusting to how people adjust to you etc. This will help a lot as u move up the stakes also imo.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone tell me what a meow-chow is please?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-23-2007, 03:39 PM

if you have 3 or 4 people at your table with 40%+ vpips, you're giving up a lot of value by only playing 15% of your hands, you should want to play as many hands as you profitably can (and may be more depending on how they adjust) with these people.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unless I've got TAGs in the blinds the range of hands I'll attempt to steal with isn't that big. When I've got tighter players in the blinds I'll happily steal with any two, run bluffs if I think they look genuine etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding this point, I think you should read Pokey's awesome post(s) about blind stealing. Stealing the blinds is very profitable, and I think you miss out on a lot of free money by only stealing blinds when you're up against noted TAGs. Granted you have to be prepared to cbet a lot, and double/triple barrel at times, but so much of the money I make is by stealing blinds or by raising, getting called, and then taking pots down with cbets.

[/ QUOTE ]

link to pokey? is it in archives?

yeah, i cant believe 15/11 could be close to optimal in 6 max (i assume this is full?)

also, what do you think of brian townsend's strategy of never limping, period, in either full or 6 max?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you think of brian townsend's strategy of never limping, period, in either full or 6 max?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly in today's games there are situations that arise where limping (specifically over limping) is higher relative EV than raising.

Some may play devil's advocate and come up with theoretical games where this is not true, but in the current games it is most certainly better to limp than raise in some cases.

One simple example, opponent who only limp reraises AA or KK UTG limps in UTG, everyone folds to you with 76s on the button. Overlimping here can be hugely profitable whereas raising would be like burning whatever money you raised.

soda
Old 11-23-2007, 06:54 PM

Haven't really read thread,but at a table full of huge fish playing 21/17 is buuuuuuuuuuurning money. You should be like 40/20 :P