Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 08:41 AM

Default 25nl: calling c-bets with low pocketpairs

I often just fold them when I don't hit a set, even when I flop a low overpair and am facing action. So, I think I need to work on that. Calling flopbets more often to pick up pots from opps with just missed overs. This might also conceal my flopped sets a bit better.

I think I'll start out trying this float-type-thingy following these guidelines:

- I want to be in position on the PFR
- I'm looking for low raggy flops and preferably an opp. I have a read on.
- Fold to more action on the turn (?), bet when checked to

This will lead to something like the following hand:

Poker Room skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.125/$0.25
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $24.35
UTG+1: $25.95
MP1: $24.35
Hero: $26.30
CO: $44.60
Button: $26.65
SB: $4.95
BB: $10.90

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $1</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, 3 folds, BB calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($3.13, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $1.5</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($6.13, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $2.5</font>, Hero folds.

This one felt a little bit too weak, but I don't know...

Will this be a profitable thing to try to implement, allthough I lose more when someone fires a second barrel? Is it at al necesary to try this out? If so, would this be the way do it or am I missing something important (should I be more agressive and therefore be looking to raise as opposed to calling for example)?

Maybe a bit difficult to answer these questions because of the broad subject, but I'm looking forward to any input.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: 25nl: calling c-bets with low pocketpairs

Opponents PFR and cbet numbers should be the main factor here. This isnt a particularly great play, especially @ 25NL, but against the right player it can be. If they have high cbet flop numbers and low cbet turn numbers then they are a candidate for this. Also if they PFR a lot.

But in general, not the best against most opponents.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 AM

I need to get PAhud up and running on my vista. I use gametime+ currently which gives me zero cbet info. How useful are those cbet stats? Are they as useful as the aggression factor stat?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:58 AM

In fact, I would have raised that flop in the hand you posted above.
Few reasons:
1) PF raiser made a very weak CB. This is often (but not always) a sign for a missed hand, he does not want to put too much money in this pot with nothing. Big mistake if he does that, make a note.
2) There is only one overcard, no dangerous cards like A,K,or Q. Plus you have also flopped an inside straight which should mean 4 clean outs for you.
I'd bet you'd take that pot down with a raise at least 75 % of the time. And if not, you'll at least buy yourself a free card to hit a 7 or a 5 for free on turn or river.
Think about it...
Old 10-12-2007, 02:01 PM

I'm popping the flop on that board. You are ahead often enough with that smallish bet and if villain comes along make a note of it. As played, I'm raising the turn. For most situations, opponent dependent, I'll play pairs for set value but this is a solid board and this opponents line allows you to take advantage.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they have high cbet flop numbers and low cbet turn numbers then they

[/ QUOTE ]

There is one but... But it needs quite many hands about your villian, I dont know borderline but maybe 500 even more hands to get TRUE numbers. Because of that I wont use this kind of play.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:30 PM

its 2 weak bets he's put in. i might raise on the flop, but if he has AKs/AQs/AJs in hearts then he's not folding...

as played, i would call that turn bet and only fold if A, K or Q falls on the river.

On flops like that against a PFR, and regular, who is betting like a scared child I'm going to call them down rather cheaply and at least see what made them bet that way.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:00 PM

ditto.
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, I would have raised that flop in the hand you posted above.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 PM

As noted, his cbet on the flop is really weak. IMO, if he had something, he'd bet more to push out heart/maybe straight draws. I think raising the flop is sexy. As played, raise the turn to charge two big hearts and call a bet (if he makes one) on the river barring a a big heart. If a heart comes, I might even call a small bet just to satisfy my curiosity. lol
Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 PM

#1 this is not a raggy flop. There are tons of draws so I don't think this hand really qualifies for your little experiment. Although I would make two plays here on this spot depending on the opposition. Against a calling station passive type player I float this flop bet if a heart comes when checked to and I would probably make a raise if I was bet into when a heart falls. Often these type of players will just c/f or make a small b/f in these situations. If he is an aggro player I would def raise the flop. You have a gut shot so there are some cards that help you here. If called and you dont hit the river I would probably just c/f as it would be pretty obvious that we are crushed here.

gl with your experiment, I do think that it may work in some instances but I have a feeling that doing this too often is ------ev.